I omit the lemon juice as I want to retain the purple colour in my chiffon cake. I omit the chunks of potatoes too as my family prefer plain chiffon cake. Do visit Happy Home Baking blog for smaller portion chiffon cake (17 cm tube pan) recipe.
Adapted and slightly modified from Happy Home Baking
4 egg yolks110ml milk
90g purple sweet potatoes(mashed)
35g vegetable oil
80g cake flour (sifted)
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
10g cornflour (sifted)
1. In a mixing bowl, hand whisk the egg yolks, milk, mashed sweet potatoes till well combine. Add in the oil, stir to mix. Follow by sieved flour and whisk till well incorporate. Add in sugar, salt and stir to combine.
2. In other bowl, beat the egg whites till frothy with electric mixer. Add sugar gradually (1 tablespoon at a time) and beat with high speed. Add the cornflour together with the last tablespoon of sugar. Beat the egg white till reach soft peak stage.
3. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
4. Pour into 20 cm chiffon mould. Bake at 160C for 40 minutes.
5. Immediately invert it after removal from oven. Leave to cool. When cake is cold, remove from mould.