Ingredients: yields about 45g x 12 pieces
(A) overnight sponge dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
(B) Main dough
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp yeast
Few drops of red food colouring
~ Sponge Dough
Mix all till form a dough. Immediately store in greased plastic bag (no proving needed). Make a tight knob without leaving any space for the dough. Store in fridge at least 4 hours. It can be kept up to 7 days. Thaw it for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before use. You can prepare the sponge dough one night before. Tear into small pieces before use.
~ Main dough
1. Put all ingredients (B) together with pieces of sponge dough in kneading bowl. Knead till all ingredients well incorporate and form smooth dough.
2. Add in red colouring into 1/3 (about 180g) of the dough. Cover and rest both plain and red dough for 30 minutes.
4. Place the red dough on top. Fold 1/3 to the center. Fold the other 1/3 on top. Divide into 2 equal parts.
7. Place each flower on greased paper. Leave to rest for 15-20 minutes.
8. Start steaming from cold water with low-medium heat. Once the water boiled steam further 8 minutes.
9. Once the steaming time is over, off the heat. Leave the buns inside the steamer about 1 minute before open the lid.