Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce

Pin It Now!
Pin It

Tomatoes make me think of pasta sauce. My kids like spaghetti with tomato base sauce. I used to cook with fresh tomatoes but not today. After reading The Pioneer Woman Tomato Cream Sauce I want to give it a try. I used canned tomato purée. It is cheap, economy and easy available at any grocery stores. This canned tomato is packed with flavour. However it is extremely sour to Asian taste (I believe :P). Therefore I added water/stock (liquid) to thinner out the sourness. 

For healthy choice (and also easy available) I replace heavy cream with evaporated milk. The result is great and my kids love it! This great cream tomato sauce will be one of my family favourite pasta meals from now on :) 


Reference from The Pioneer Woman
Pasta Tomato Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
(A)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 whole medium onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (220g) tomato purée (I used DuChef brand)
1 cup water (or stock)
½ cube chicken stock (Knorr brand)
*Omit if using stock.
 
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons sugar (more to taste)

(B)
½ cup evaporated milk
1 tablespoon dried oregano
10g parmesan cheese

400g spaghetti
 
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->


Methods:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserve ½ cup of pasta water.



2. Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for a minute or so. Pour in tomato purée and add water, stock cube, salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Stir and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.


3. Remove from heat and stir in milk, oregano and cheese. Check seasonings. 

4. Stir in pasta and serve immediately. (Thin with pasta water if needed.)

I am submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up, hosted by Mui Mui@My Little Favourite DIY & Zoe@Bake for Happy Kids.



10 comments:

  1. 看起来好好吃哦!
    抄下食谱,找天我也来试煮,:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vivian, simply delicious pasta. Reminds me that I still have 1/2 packet of Angel Hair in my kitchen cupboard. Must cook it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian! Your pasta looks good! Great healthy idea to use evaporated milk instead of cream...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking pasta! My kids love pasta with tomato sauce! And they always look forward to the leftovers the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomato based spaghetti is my favourite. I can eat it everyday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe i ate very little during dinner just now. You made me hungry looking at both your nyonya prawns and this pasta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Viv,

    You can link with us via Doreen's Tomato post, http://my123favourites.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/ayam-masak-merah.html All you need to do is click and submit. That's all.

    Any problem? Please let me know :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I normally will put in mince meat for my tomato spaghetti. Will try this version of yours using evaporated milk too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...