Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yam Hot Cross Bun/ Straight Dough Method - Bread # 2

Pin It Now!
Yam is most of our ladies favourite. The fragrant and texture of yam really great when use in making dessert. What if using it in bread? I combine the yam in this recipe, Yam sweet buns. In order to make it attractive I turn the buns into hot cross buns :D This will encourage my 2 boys to try the buns especially my younger son. He might not try it when come to purple buns!

The yam itself not really has much colour. Therefore I add in together with purple sweet potato. The result was great! I very satisfy with the colour and fragrant of the buns. You can really taste the existent of the yam in every bite! Do try and see if you like the buns as well as I do.

Ingredients:
(A)
100g mashed yam
50g mashed purple sweet potato
3 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt

1 egg
100-110ml water

(B)
330g bread flour
1 tsp yeast

(C )
20g margarine/ butter

(D) Topping paste
1 tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp oil
1- 1½ tbsp water
* Mix all together to form smooth paste.

Methods:
1. Put yam, purple sweet potato, sugar and salt in a bowl. Cook all these ingredients over double-boiler till all the sugar melt. Set aside to cool.

2. Add in the egg and water. Stir to mix. Add (B) and knead to form dough.
3. Add margarine/butter and continue kneading to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and let it prove for 1 hour 15 minutes.

4. Transfer to working surface. Slightly knead to remove air bubbles. Divide the dough into 45g each. Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.

5. Again shape the balls neatly and place inside a greased baking pan. Leave to prove for 45 minutes.

6. Apply egg wash. Pipe a cross on top with topping paste. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. awesome! I have the urge to bake these now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. I have never had yam buns but they look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so yummy! too bad i'm the only one in the family who loves yam
    but i will definitely make - only for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. CaThY, Kristin, Alice,
    Thank you. Do try and you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi vivian, since you were also using sweet potatoes here, did you get to taste them as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena,
    The purple sweet potatoes contributes more on colour. Overall only can taste yam in the buns.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...