The yam itself not really has much colour. Therefore I add in together with purple sweet potato. The result was great! I very satisfy with the colour and fragrant of the buns. You can really taste the existent of the yam in every bite! Do try and see if you like the buns as well as I do.
100g mashed yam
50g mashed purple sweet potato
3 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
330g bread flour
1 tsp yeast
20g margarine/ butter
(D) Topping paste
1 tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp oil
1- 1½ tbsp water
* Mix all together to form smooth paste.
1. Put yam, purple sweet potato, sugar and salt in a bowl. Cook all these ingredients over double-boiler till all the sugar melt. Set aside to cool.
2. Add in the egg and water. Stir to mix. Add (B) and knead to form dough.
3. Add margarine/butter and continue kneading to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and let it prove for 1 hour 15 minutes.
4. Transfer to working surface. Slightly knead to remove air bubbles. Divide the dough into 45g each. Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.
5. Again shape the balls neatly and place inside a greased baking pan. Leave to prove for 45 minutes.
6. Apply egg wash. Pipe a cross on top with topping paste. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes.