One of my FB readers asking for Matcha (Green Tea) Tiramisu recipe. Actually I have no idea how and what is used in making Tiramisu. After consult Mr Google this is what I found. Tiramisu is an Italian dessert. It is made of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, layered with a whipped mixture of egg yolks and mascarpone cheese, and flavoured with Marsala wine and cocoa. The recipe has been adapted into many varieties of puddings, cakes and other desserts. Therefore Tiramisu not only flavoured with coffee, Matcha is commonly used too.
Since is my 1st time working with mascarpone cheese I choose this easy eggless Matcha Tiramisu. No cooking involve just whipped the cheese and cream. Then assemble by layering the sponge cake (ladyfingers), red beans and cream.
In this recipe I bake my sponge cake. And I have difficulties in piping the shape I want. So end up breaking the cake to suit my moulds :P Nevertheless the cake taste good. In order to save time you can use store bought ladyfingers. If you really want to bake your own do check the recipe from Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover and Wendy aka Table for 2 or more. They have great recipe on the sponge cake.
Try not to skip the red beans filling as it really lifts up the taste of this Matcha Tiramisu. Without the red beans you only taste cake with cream and it is a bit bland. Anyway it is not hard to prepare filling. Cook red bean soup as usual, weight 1-1 ½ cups(depend how much you want) cooked red beans (beans without liquid). While the beans is hot add in sugar (a bit sweeter as this going to bring sweetness to the Tiramisu) till melt. Slightly mash the beans as you mix. This will give you course red bean paste. Chill until needed.
After assemble Tiramisu make sure it is chilled at least overnight before served. The flavours will develop as you chilled. In order to impress your guest just sprinkle some matcha powder on top. However go easy on it as too much is bitter (lesson learnt after taste the tiramisu that you saw in photo :P). If serving to kids better to omit the topping.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #30: It's Tea Time! (April 2013) hosted by Food Playground.
Reference from Carol Easy Tiramisu
Yield 4 servings in 7cm square mould with 3.5cm height
Eggless Matcha Red Bean Tiramisu
(A) Matcha liquid
50g hot water
½ tablespoon matcha powder
*mix well and chill.
125g whipping cream(dairy)
125g mascarpone cheese (out from fridge about 15 minutes before used)
20g icing sugar
2 teaspoons matcha liquid from (A)
Homemade sponge cake/ sponge fingers (savoiardi)
1½ cups sweetened cooked red beans (slightly mash into course paste)
1. With electric mixer cream the whipping cream till soft peak. Keep in fridge to chill until needed.
*Do not over beat. Stop once the cream reach custard consistency or obvious lines seen.
2. In a separate bowl, add in mascarpone cheese, icing sugar and matcha liquid. With a spatula, mix the mixture until soft and smooth.
3. Remove whipped cream from fridge. Gently fold, or whisk, the whipped cream into the mascarpone until smooth. Keep in fridge until needed.
1. Cut sponge cake/ladyfingers according to your mould size. 2 layers of sponge cake each mould.
2. Dip the sponge cake into Matcha liquid and place into mould. Spread an even layer of red beans filling over sponge cake. Then spread some mascarpone mixture over.
3. Repeat, ending with a layer of mascarpone, smooth the top.
4. Fridge for at least 4 hours or even overnight before serve. Dust some Matcha powder on top as garnish (optional).