Monday, April 15, 2013

Somtam (Papaya Salad)- MFF Kelantan

Pin It Now!
Pin It

Thailand is close neighbour with Kelantan state. Therefore some of the cuisine has Thai influence such as this Somtam. Somtam is a spicy green papaya salad. It is made with shredded unripe papaya, chili, bean and lime. It is prepared by pounding the vegetables together in a mortar. By doing so it helps release the flavours and juices.

I saw this recipe from Kakna, Cubarecipebaru which I believe is more on Kelantanese style. Since no sugar is added this papaya salad is more on salty side and of course spicy (quite a lot chili used, I reduce to 4 instead of 10 pieces). I love the overall taste and texture, crunch and flavourful. With all these humble ingredients it creates big flavour in a plate! If I made again I will add some palm sugar/ sugar and reduce or omit the long bean. Quite odd having it raw :P

Adapted and slightly modified from Cubarecipebaru
Somtam (Papaya Salad)
Ingredients:
¼ unripe papaya (mine is small, about ½), shredded
¼ carrot, shredded
½ tomato. thinly sliced

4 shallots, cut into half
4 bird chilies (more if prefer more heat)
2 tablespoons dried shrimps, washed and toast on pan without oil
4 tablespoons roasted peanut
2 long beans, cut about 1½ cm long

2 limau kasturi, cut into half
1½ tablespoons fish sauce

Methods:
1. Place shredded papaya, carrot and tomato in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

2. Place shallots, chillies, dried shrimps, peanuts and long beans in a mortar. Crush lightly.
*Randomly pick some from each and crush lightly to release flavour. I do it in batches.

3. Combine lime juice and fish sauce. Toss all ingredients together in mixing bowl evenly. Serve!

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Kelantan Month hosted by Gertrude of My KitchenSnippets

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can eat a lot of this salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad is so mouth-watering. Spicy and tangy all at once and crunchy too. Would love to make this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always envy my friends when they eat somtam cos I cannot eat papaya. Sob sob! Yours look so appetizing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salad, and always thought of making them more often! This looks so good, I would have no problem finishing the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Vivian! The salad looks very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...