This is a cocoa chiffon cake recipe which I baked in round pan and decorated with chocolate ganache. Sometimes I have to find a way to clear stuff in the fridge and this time is whipping cream. Despite clearing whipping cream I have fun in making decorated cake too ^^ My kids are very happy to see and enjoy eating the chocolate cake.
Instead of cover the whole cake with chocolate ganache I used homemade roselle jam as the filling. You can replace other jam of your choice.
Cocoa Sponge Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache
~Cocoa cake (chiffon cake method)
50g corn oil
15g cocoa powder
4 egg yolks (used eggs weight 55g each)
20g caster sugar
70g cake flour
4 egg whites
40g caster sugar
¼ teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juices
1. Heat up the oil in a small pan till warm. Off the heat and add in cocoa powder. Stir till all combine. Leave aside to cool.
*This will enhance the cocoa flavour.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar till pale in colour. Add in cocoa mixture and milk. Whisk till combine.
3. Add in sifted flour and whisk till combined. Set aside.
4. In another bowl beat egg whites until foamy. Divide the sugar into 2 equal portions. Add in 1st portion and beat till no longer foamy. Add in the 2nd portion of sugar and vinegar. Continue beat until it approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight up with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture).
* Will help in getting nice sponge cake without much shrinkage. Do refer here for more helpful tips.
5. Scoop 1/3 of the egg whites and use a hand whisk to mix it evenly into egg yolk batter. Pour the mixture of yolk batter into the remaining whites bowl.
6. Using a hand whisk mix to combine. Once all whites seems invisible use spatula to scrap sides of bowl and fold till all evenly mixed.
7. Pour the batter inside 7-inch removable bottom pan (without lining). Bake in preheated oven at 130C for 35 minutes. Increase the temperature to 150C and bake for another 25 minutes till cook. Once baked, turn the cake pan upside down and cool completely before remove from the pan.
*Adjust temperature according your oven.
~Whipped Chocolate Ganache
1o0g semi- sweet chocolate
120g whipping cream
1. Boil together whipping cream and honey till heated. Pour into the chocolate. Leave for about a minute. Then slightly stir until the chocolate melted.
2. Refrigerate the ganache for 30 minutes or 1 hour before whipping. Whip the ganache till soft peaks and is ready to be used.
1. Cut the cocoa sponge cake into 2 layers. Spread roselle jam evenly on top of one sponge cake. Cover with another sponge cake.
2. Apply chocolate ganache on the cake and decorate as you like.