What can be fun to serve oats to kids in brownies? Occasionally I will bake brownies and this is one of the healthier choices. The only flour used is oat flour. You might wonder where to buy oat flour? Oat flour is actually grinded old fashioned rolled oats (not quick). Just process rolled oats with your trusted blender till fine and here you have the oat flour :) Despite healthy, these brownies is tasty too. The texture is moist and light. You won't know if I'm not telling you the brownies is made with oat flour :D
I used the same technique as in previous recipe, brownies cupcakes. Because I prefer light brownies instead fudge brownies. I take extra step beating the eggs till thick and pale (almost reach ribbon stage) before adding chocolate mixture.
For the topping I would suggest only sprinkle the chocolate chips after the brownies being baked in the oven for about 10 minutes. Due to lighter batter the chips will sink to the bottom if sprinkle at the beginning.
Adapted and slightly modified from The Wanna Be Chef
Oat Flour Brownies
Bake in 8-inch square pan
125g cup butter
125g semisweet or bittersweet baking chocolate, cut into smaller size (reduced from 200g)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup water
50g brown sugar (original used ¾ cup; adjust according to your liking)
¾ cup oat flour (finely ground from a cup of old fasioned rolled oats till fine)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
50g chocolate chips, for sprinkle on top
1. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 180C. Line 8-inch square pan.
2. With double boiler method, melt the chocolate and butter. While chocolate mixture is warm, add in cocoa powder and coffee granules (if using). Whisk till smooth. Then, add in vanilla extract and water. Again whisk till well combine. Set aside to cool.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar till the mixture is thick and light. Stir in the chocolate mixture.
4. Add the flour mixture from (C) and fold just until blended. Pour the batter into lined baking pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 10 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle chips evenly on top. Return the pan into oven and continue bake for further 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Remove the brownies from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack before cut.