Friday, November 30, 2012

Steamed Cake with Vegetables

Pin It Now!

Recently, I used to prepare steamed bun (mantou) as snack for my little girl. She not keen to drink water therefore I try to avoid giving her baked goods. Another option will be steamed cake. Thanks to Aspiring Bakers for having steamed cake as this month theme. Now I have lots of choice to choose from fellow blogger friends.


Since my girl is only 14th months old I try to serve her as 'healthy' as I can. This recipe actually is very simple. It is similar to making muffin, mixing wet ingredients with dry. Then steam straight away! Since I'm adding vegetable, extra effort are needed to prepare the vegetable. Therefore here come the long steps :P
 

Reference from steamed cake Anna blog
Yield 7 tea cups
Ingredients:
(A)
50g bok choy (
小白菜)
*spinach will be nice too
30g carrot
 
250g water (water from blanching vegetable)
* add water if not enough
90g sugar
 
1 tbsp vegetable oil
 
(B)
250g self-raising flour
1/2  tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
 
1 tbsp wheat germ(optional)
 
 
Methods:
1. Grate carrot finely. Set aside.

2. Bring some water to boil. Add in washed bok choy and blanch for 1-2 minutes. Remove, drain and leave to cool. Reserve the water. Measure the reserved water to get 250ml. Top up if needed.


3. Put the blanched bok choy into blender. Scoop some liquid from the 250ml water into blender. Blend till fine. Pour back into remain liquid and become 'green' liquid.


4. Add sugar into 'green' liquid. Stir till sugar melt. Add in grated carrot and vegetable oil. Whisk to combine.


5. In a mixing bowl, sieve in flour, baking powder and salt. Add in wheat germ and stir to mix.


6. If you are using tea cup like mine, lightly grease the cups with oil. Arrange the cups into steamer and bring the water to rapid boil.
* In order to get better result do get the steamer ready before prepare the batter. Once done immediately send into steamer without any delay.
* I heated the coated tea cups before used. This can help easy removal after cooked.


7. Once steamer is about ready, prepare the batter. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Pour in the 'green' liquid mixture. Whisk to combine. The mixture should be thick as shown.


8. With a spoon scoop the batter into heated tea cups about 90% full. Cover and steam at high heat for 15 minutes.


I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #25 – Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders





10 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. Indeed a good and healthy recipe for a toddler! I should steam that for my baby too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting recipe, with vegetables and using a tea cup. very creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make a really good mother :)

    I hope I can cook good in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. adding vegetables in steamed cake, sound so healthy and give more to your children..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very unique recipe. Sounds healthy and look so cute in those mini cups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi~~ Good mom~~
    tis really healthy n suitable for 14mths old baby~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the greenish color. It must be so lovely to eat with all the veggies inside :) I am a vege lover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Viv,

    This, I reckon is a nice and healthy way to encourage toddlers to eat vege. Nice to know that these cakes are not "heaty" to consume at all.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's definitely a healthy cake for everyone, especially the kids! Well prepared :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. my boy is 14 mths old too but I have not really introduce cakes to him yet. good idea to steam such healthy cake to the toddlers, shall try it for my son too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...