This is a simple dish which can be done in advance. Do try and enjoy during this Chinese New Year celebration !
Source: Agnes Chang delightful snacks & dim sum
500g fish meat (Mackerel)
1 tsp salt
5 tbsp ice water
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp chopped fat pork (optional)
7 fresh shiitake mushrooms
3 pieces firm tofu
corn flour for coating
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 egg (beaten)
1. Remove the stem of mushrooms, coat mushroom with little corn flour. Cut each tofu into half. Make a cut in the center to make a pocket. Apply little corn flour inside the pocket. Set aside.
2. Chop fish meat until very fine and slowly add in (A) to form into fish paste. Add (B) and stir in one direction until well combined and very sticky.
3. Fill the mushrooms cap and tofu with the fish paste. Smooth the surface with some water (pat the surface gently with wet hand).
~ Stuffed Mushrooms
4. Arrange on a plate. Steam on high heat for 6-8 minutes till cooked.
5. Drain the stock from cooked stuffed mushrooms in a pan. Add in seasoning from (D) except beaten egg (add water if needed). Cook till boiling. Lastly add in the egg to thicken the gravy. Pour gravy over stuffed mushrooms. Decorate with carrots, cauliflower and roe (fish egg).
~ Stuffed Tofu
6. Panfry with some oil till golden brown and cooked. Serve with ikan bilis soup.
1. Coating corn flour on mushrooms and tofu before adding fish paste will prevent separation of paste once cooked.
2. Fish paste can be cooked on its own too. Shape into balls and cook in ikan bilis soup or any stock you prefer.