This method is inspired by pau making in 阿芳的3杯面粉 cookbook. I’m using plain flour instead of bread flour for the sponge dough. The result is great too. The green colour is not really obvious in the loaf. I should add little bit more essence next time.
1 cup plain flour
½ tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
60 ml water
30g condensed milk
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Above sponge dough
2 cups bread flour
¼ tsp yeast
1 tsp pandan essence
20g margarine/ butter
Mix all till form dough. Store the dough inside greased plastic bag. Make a tight knot. Immediately store in fridge at least 4 hours before used. (I used to prepare one night before) Thaw at room temperature about 10 minutes before use.
1. Put water, egg, condensed milk, sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir to mix. Add in the small pieces of overnight sponge dough (tear into small portions). Follow by bread flour and yeast. Knead till form dough.
2. Add in the margarine and continue knead to form elastic dough. Measure 150g from the ready dough and add in pandan essence. Knead to well combine. Shape the plain and pandan dough into balls, cover and rest for 45 minutes.
3. Transfer the dough onto working surface. Flatten with rolling pin to remove the air bubbles. Rest for 10 minutes.
4. Again roll the dough, this time into proper rectangle shape. Place the green dough on top and gently roll to seal tight. Gently roll into swiss roll shape. Divide into 3 portions. Arrange into greased sandwich mould and rest for 45 minutes.
5. Bake in the preheated oven 170C for 30 minutes. Once bake, immediately remove from mould and cool on wire rack.