I like this combination of swiss roll. Raisins roll goes well with strawberry butter cream.
Adapted and slightly modified from孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook
3 egg yolks
Orange zest from 1 orange20g vegetable oil
(B)70g cake flour
* Sifted and set aside
(D) Butter cream filling30g margarine/ butter
30g strawberry jam
* Cream the margarine till light and creamy. Add in the jam and beat till well incorporate.
(E) DecorateSome melted margarine/butter
Some castor sugar
1. Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine. Add the remaining ingredients (A) and stir well.
2. Fold in sifted flour and mix till smooth. Add in raisins and stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour the batter into baking pan (I'm using 26cm x 26cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Bake in the pre-heated oven 190C for 15-17 minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 5 minutes).
7. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread the filling evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.
9. To decorate: Sprinkle castor sugar evenly on working surface (example on baking paper). Brush melted margarine around the swiss roll (before cut). Roll it around the castor sugar.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .