Friday, August 26, 2011

Chocolate Almond Torte

Pin It Now!

I have a packet of ground almonds sitting in the fridge for months! Actually the main reason I bought it is for French apple pie. However till now don’t feel like having apple pie :) Therefore I used it for this Chocolate Almond Torte which also baked by Lena, Joyce and Zoe recently. Do drop by their blogs for useful information on baking this flourless cake.




I understand that this cake will rise and the surface will crack during the baking process. At the end it will shrink and the top will crisp. However I don't want the cake crack on top. In order to prevent this happened. First, I bake in lower temperature, 160C instead of 190C. Second, I cover the top loosely with aluminium foil during the first 25 minutes baking time, remove and bake further 25 minutes without cover.

My torte end up don’t have crack on top. Inside is moist and fudgy with rich chocolate flavour. I more enjoy when it is fridge overnight.
I found that the original recipe is far too sweet for me. Since I’m using semi-sweet chocolate I cut down the sugar level tremendously. Do adjust according to your taste. Whenever I bake with chocolate I like to add in little coffee powder. I just like these two combinations. I’m using the normal 8” round pan with only bottom lined. I run a knife around the cake once it cooked. This is to prevent uneven surface once the cake shrink.


Adapted and slightly modified from Joy of Baking
Ingredients:
(A)
200g semi-sweet chocolate
125g butter
Pinch of salt

5g instant coffee powder
1 tsp hot water
* Dissolve and set aside

(B)
4 egg yolks
25g sugar

100g ground almonds

(C)
4 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
25g sugar


Methods:

1. Melt the chocolate and butter via double boiler. Once melted, remove from heat and add in salt and coffee mixture.

2. Meanwhile beat the egg yolks and sugar till pale. Add in the melted chocolate mixture from step (1). Follow by the ground almonds.

3. In another bowl, add in the egg whites and beat till foamy. Add in cream of tartar and continue beat till soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and beat till stiff. Fold in ¼ of the whites into step (2) batter. Once incorporate follow by the rest of whites. Fold till well combine.

4. Pour the batter into lined 8” round pan. Bake in preheated oven 160C with cover (cover loosely with aluminium foil) for 25 minutes. Remove and bake further 25 minutes.

5. Remove from oven, run a sharp knife around the pan edges to prevent uneven shrink surface. Leave to cool in the pan. It is best serve at room temperature or cold (chill).


4 comments:

  1. Lovely chocolate almond torte! and thanks for the tips to prevent crack too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chocolate almond torte...looks moist indeed! And great idea to add in some coffee powder to enhance the overall taste! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Tze,
    Thanks. I hope the tips will help you on baking such flourless cake in future.

    Honey Bee Sweets,
    Is it indeed moist. I used to have it with a cup of hot tea or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no cracks!!! i remember zoe and joyce's ones also had no cracks. Well done! yeah, definately taste better overnite in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...