Adapted and lightly modified from My LittleSpace
Ingredients: yield about 700g dough
~ Char siew filling
½ pieces onion (diced)
250g diced char siew (homemade)
5 tbsp char siew sauce (homemade)
2 tbsp white sesame seeds
* Do refer Chinese roasted pork (char siew) on how to make your own char siew.
~ Pau Dough
(A) Starter dough
100ml lukewarm water
2½ tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
130g plain flour
(B) Main dough
300g plain flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp vinegar
* mix just about to use
1 tbsp vegetable oil
~Char Siew Filling
Fry onion with oil till fragrant. Add in the diced char siew and sauce. Cook till well combine. Off the heat and add in white sesame seeds. Mix well. Keep the filling in fridge for an hour before use.
Put all into kneading bowl. Mix all till form dough. Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
1. Put all ingredients from (B) except oil into the starter dough bowl. Knead till all form into dough. Add the oil and continue knead till form smooth dough. Cover and rest for 1 hour.
2. Transfer the dough to working surface. Slightly knead to remove excess air bubbles. Divide the dough into 40g each. Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.
3. Flatten balls into round shape. Wrap in filling and place on lined paper. Rest the pau in steamer for 15 minutes.
4. Bring the water to boil. Steam at high heat for 15 minutes. Once the steaming time is over, off the heat, leave the pau inside the steamer for 1 minute before open the lid.