Friday, July 20, 2012

Summer Rolls Vietnamese Style

Pin It Now!

Sometimes I like to have light meals. Vietnamese spring rolls are one of my choices. This rice paper roll is commonly use in Vietnamese cuisine. They are made from white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, and water. It is usually sold dried in thin, crisp, translucent round sheets that are wrapped in cellophane. The sheets are dipped briefly in warm water to soften them, then wrapped around savory or sweet ingredients.


The 1st times I 'know' this rice paper roll via TV cooking show. After knowing how easy it was to prepare Vietnamese spring roll I told myself I should try out. I'm glad I did. It is very refreshing meal with lots of vegetables inside the rolls. Having Vietnamese rolls not complete without the sweet sour dipping sauce. I would say the sauce is pretty much vary according to personal taste. As long as the sauce has the sweet, sour and spicy component you are almost there of having the right sauce. You will definitely satisfy of having these Vietnamese spring rolls with your own personal taste of sauce.


Ingredients:
~ Filling
Carrot
Cucumber
Tomato
Coriander (or any herbs like basil, mint etc.)
*I didn’t weight the vegetables. Do use any quantity you like.

Some cooked chicken breast (shredded)

One packet of vermicelli (50g)

~ Sweet sour sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp good quality vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
1 tsp chilies sauce
1 fresh chili padi (diced thinly)
Pinch of salt
*mix all and stir to dissolve. Set aside.

Few rice paper rolls for wrapping (about 6 sheets)

A shallow bowl of warm water to soften the rice paper roll

Methods:
1. Thinly slice all the vegetables. Set aside.

2. Soak the vermicelli about 5 minutes. Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook it until transparent. Dish out, drain and put in a container to cool. Make few cuts on the vermicelli with a pair of scissors.

3. Begin wrap by soften a piece of rice paper roll in the warm water. Immediately place on the working board. Start arrange the filling with vermicelli first then the rest of vegetables and shredded chicken on top.
*Place the ingredients that you like to “show” on the top.

4. Wrap by folding towards center then the sides. Roll up till the end. Repeat the same for the rest.

5. Serve with the sauce and enjoy!

Some cool gadgets from Amazon that you might need :)




I'm sending this post to

1. Recipe Box Linky # 6 - Thanks for Lunch  hosted by Bizzy Bakes
Recipe Box




JWsMadeWLuvMondays


 






9 comments:

  1. I love spring rolls and these look divine! I could actually eat 3 0r 4 for my lunch right now!! Hope you have a great weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore these! We get them from a little Vietnamese shop that also makes the best fresh tofu. We used to live quite close to it, but moved about 9 years ago. now getting their spring rolls is a very special treat. Thank you so much for the recipe. We get vegetarian ones, and they have tiny cubes of baked tofu. They also use lemon grass in theirs which is so refreshing. No tomatoes. Just another take on what i assume is a broad tablet. You are right, the sauce is a necessity. It's what takes these to another level. Thank you again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing these tasty summer rolls - they sound so light and refreshing and I appreciate the photo showing how to package them. And welcome to Made with Love Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Viv,
    These looks really light and health.
    Would love to have some for my lunch now.,:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Vietnamese spring rolls! And these look wonderful! It has been quite a long while since I've last eaten these rolls! Can courier some over? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your presentation of Summer Spring Rolls is just beautiful. Vietnamese Spring Rolls are some of my favorites and your recipe looks awesome! Hope you are having a great summer week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vivian, your spring roll look delicious and healthy, I love this. I still have some of this rice paper in my stock, now that I see yours so tempting.... will make this for my next meal. Thanks for sharing the cool gadgets.

    Have a nice day,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing such useful information. I really enjoyed while reading your article. Also explore about - Tapioca Starch Suppliers who offers the best quality Tapioca Starch in Bulk ranges.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...