Saturday, September 22, 2012

Midin Salad with Smoked Shrimps-MFF Sarawak #2

Pin It Now!
 
Midin is very common type of fern available in Sarawak. It is very popular and usually fried with shrimp paste (belachan) or anchovies (ikan bilis). It is a must ordered dish when you visit Sarawak.
 

 
This is midin. Don't they look like paku? Do click here to find out what difference between them.
 
I ordered midin salad in one of the restaurant here. It was quite nice! Instead of having midin stir-fried why not try salad version :D
 
 
 

I added some smoked shrimps for crunch texture. Do they look like dried shrimps? I bought this from wet market. Local call them smoked shrimps. It actually like dried shrimps but come in whole and bigger in size. The local have them as snack. Just wash it and they are good to pop inside your mouth! It tastes sweet with the fragrant of dried shrimps. The texture is harder with some crunch compare with ordinary dried shrimps. It quite nice! Instead of having as snack I toss into my midin salad.

 
Here what I have in my salad.

Ingredients:
~salad
1 bundle of midin
Capsicum
Carrot
Bombay onion
Handful of smoked shrimps
 

 
~Salad dressing
Lime juice
Vinegar
Sugar
Soya
Chili sauce
Sesame oil
* adjust according to your taste.
 
Methods:
1. For midin, discard the older stalks and leaves. Keep the curled leaf stalks and young leaves. Wash to get clean. Drain and set aside.
 
2. Bring a pot of water to boil. While waiting for the water to boil, get another bowl with ice cold water. Cook the midin in hot water for a minute or so. Drain and immediately put into ice cold water to stop from further cooking.
* do not overcook as it will lost the crunchiness of midin.
 
3. Drain away the cold water and prepare other vegetable for the salad. Cut carrot, capsicum and onion into thin slices.
 
4. Mix all the salad dressing well. Pour into the vegetables and smoked shrimps mixture. Toss well and serve!

 
I am submitting this dish to Malaysian Food Fest, Sarawak Month hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts.
 

9 comments:

  1. Never see this fern before! I am more interested with that smoked shrimps, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you can find midin in Peninzular. As for the smoked shrimps I only see here, Kuching. I wonder could it be from Langkawi or not as most of the Ikan bilis are from there.

      Delete
  2. Where did u find midin in Sg? Btw, I am from Kuching,,,just curious where to find it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you can find midin in Singapore. I'm in Kuching. You must be missing your hometown midin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol...I just find out you are staying in Kuching...all the while I thought you are in Sg. I am from Kuching too...we should meet when I go back...staying near Jln Song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! I'm at Jalan Setia Raja! Very near ler.. Yeah, we can meet someday :)

      Delete
  5. Jln Setia?? Where is that...to be exact my place near to 101...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh..ok...Contact you when I am back. We can meet anyway nearby...I always go to Stutong market when I am back..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...