Sunday, September 30, 2012

Stir-fried Manicai with Eggs (马尼菜炒蛋)- MFF Sarawak #2

Pin It Now!
 
I have Manicai in my garden. Like other friends in Peninsular Malaysia we used to eat with 'Pan Mien'. My hubby suggests me to cook/fry Manicai with eggs which he had at the restaurant in Kuching. I have no idea until he ordered a plate for me at Chinese restaurant. One day I wanted to add a vegetable dish for my family dinner. The only vegetable I can get is Manicai from my garden! Why not try to cook with eggs? Of course I can't get it right. I just fry with eggs without process the Manicai. It ends up grassy fried eggs :D

After I read Stir-fried Manicai with Eggs recipe shown in Malaysia Food Fest, then only know it is common way of serving this vegetable with eggs in Sarawak. Thanks to Kelly for sharing this wonderful dish. Then I know the correct way of cooking Manicai should be washed, salted, and squeezed dry before cook. Now I can prepare nice sweet and with lightly chewy stir-fried Manicai with eggs :)



Adapted and slightly modified from Kelly Siew
Ingredients:
200g Manicai (plucked from stalks)
1 tablespoon salt

2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
1 teaspoon MSG free Chicken stock powder (omit)
50ml water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce (optional)

Methods:
1. Wash the leaves thoroughly and add the salt. Leave for several minutes, then squeeze all the juice out. Rinse, and squeeze again. Place the leaves on chopping board and dice into small pieces. Set aside.
* Restaurant serve it's Manicai in small pieces. It is up to you whether like to dice or not.

2. In a wok/pan, heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil (you really need quite a bit to achieve that lovely sheen and moisture). Once it’s hot, cook the garlic until aromatic. Stir in the leaves and cook for about a minute till wilt. Add water when it starts to look quite dry (about halfway through).

3. Make a well in the middle, crack the eggs in and beat with chopsticks to mix. Once the eggs are starting to set, start mixing everything together, adding more water if needed. Turn off the heat after about a minute or so. Serve while hot.

I am submitting this dish to Malaysian Food Fest, Sarawak Month hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts.


 

2 comments:

  1. I used to eat this as a kid.How nostalgic to see it here:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viv,
    This is a very simple yet delicious plate of dish.
    Yes, other than having it with pan mian, i like to fried it with egg too.
    Yours looks so delicious.
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...