I want to try making Nastar rolls from Nasi Lemak Lover. Her pineapple Nastar rolls look so pretty and cute. However I don't feel like making pineapple filling. Not keen to buy pineapple paste too. Initially I plan to buy red sweet dates (ready to eat type) as filing. The shop that I used to buy told me they not selling anymore. After knowing my intention, the shop owner suggests quite few items available at her shop as tart filling. At last I came out this pickled lime and raisins combo. Lime itself is more on sour while golden raisins are more on sweet. Sweet and sour just like pineapple paste :D Hope you like it!
~Lime and raisins filling
Yields about 45 pieces
Recipe from Vivian Pang Kitchen
1. Cut pickled lime with scissors into small pieces to ease the blending process. Remove big seeds as you cut.
2. Put the pieces of pickled lime into blender. 'Pulse' till form rough paste. Add in raisins and 'Pulse' again to get both slightly mixed. * it is alright if some are still in whole.
3. Keep the filling in fridge till easy to handle. Chilled one is much easy to shape without much sticking.
4. With ½ teaspoon measurement spoon, measure amount of filling for each roll. Keep the filling in fridge while preparing the pastry.
Ingredients:yields about 55 pieces(A)
50g condensed milk (I use F&N Sweetened creamer)
1 egg yolk
255g all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg for egg wash
above lime and raisins filling
1. Cream butter and condensed milk till light.
2. Add in egg yolk and beat until combine.
3. Mix in sifted flour and salt. Fold till combine. The dough should be soft and not sticky.
4. Put dough into a Nastar mould and press out into strips about 5-6cm long.
5. Place jam filling on the edge of a strip and make a small elongated roll.
6. Cut off excess dough, brush with egg glaze.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 170c for about 15 minutes or till golden brown.
8. Cool on wire rack before store.
I'm out of lime and raisins filling for few rolls. How about using prunes as filling? The taste is quite match. Prunes are definitely a lot easier to get and handle. Well another options of filling for this buttery rolls ^^
I am submitting this post to
~ Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
~ Tea Time Treats hosted by Lavender and Lovage and What Kate Baked