Friday, March 1, 2013

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Delia Smith)/ Birthday Cake

Pin It Now!
Pin It
This year no fancy cake for my birthday boy. Since I wanted to bake carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, I take easy way out try on Delia Smith Saturday Carrot Cake  I can't believe with easy mix and stir method yields such moist and yummy cake. Not forget to mention is a healthy type of cake.

To please my kids, I added cocoa powder and chocolate chips. They go well together. As for the topping I scatter some pistachio nuts on cream cheese frosting. I am happy with the 'Not So Perfect' birthday cake. Not only easy for the baker (me) but also 'go easy' to our tummy too :)

Adapted from Delia Smith Saturday Carrot Cake with modification
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients:
~Carrot cake
(A)
75 g peeled and grated carrot (about 1 medium-sized carrot)
75 ml vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

(B)
80g all-purpose flour 
30g oatmeal flour (grind from instant oatmeal)
(Replace for 110g plain wholewheat flour)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

60g soft brown sugar
handful of chocolate chips

~For the topping
50g soft cream cheese
25g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
10g icing sugar, sieved

Some pistachio nuts (crushed)

Methods:
1. Grate the carrot straight into a mixing bowl. Add in oil and beaten egg. Stir to combine. Set aside.

2. Sift all the dry ingredients into another bowl. Add in sugar and chips. Slightly stir to combine well.

3. Add the carrot mixture into dry ingredients bowl. Fold and stir well until everything is well mixed. Scrape the batter into lined 6' round pan.

4. Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 20 minutes or when cake tester came out clean. Remove from oven and leave the pan on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before turning the cake out and stripping off the paper.

5. Once the cake has cool completely now is time for frosting. To make the topping, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and beat until smooth. Spread it thickly on the top of the cake and decorate it by scatter some crushed pistachio nuts on top. 




16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your boy!
    Love the rustic look.
    Recently I started baking with wholewheat flour and I love it, locally known as Atta flour. It's not the same like the wholemeal flour we use in breads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it in my pantry! Not knowing atta flour is whole wheat flour :p Planning to use in making Indian flatbread. Thanks for the information! Next time will try.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to your boy! Looks moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivian, I like the birthday cake. Looks moist and delicious. Nice pistachio topping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks gorgeous! Thanks for joining us in this bloghop and happy belated birthday to your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, Vivian. Love the addition of choc chips and pistachio topping. I'm sure your boy loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your little boy!
    You did a great job into turning a simple cake to such a special cake for a birthday!
    Love the pistachios over the top, making the cake looks simply gorgeous!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. carrot and cream cheese is such a lovely combination :) Happy birthday to the lucky one

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had carrot cake with chocolate before, Vivian - I'm so intrigued! And this looks so beautiful - I'm sure your son was VERY happy... What a tasty and perfect looking carrot cake... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrot cake and the red eggs for Birthday!

    Hi Vivian! You are a great mom... Happy B'day to the lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your boy. =)
    He must be very happy because the cake looks delicious! I love carrot cake. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great birthday cake. All those pistachios on top look great! Thank you for linking and happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Viv,

    Happy Birthday to your boy!

    I noticed too Delia Smith has a few versions of carrot cakes and all look very good. Choosing one can be a tough decision. Yours look fantastic with pistachios!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday to you Prince. I like the look of your carrot cake. I should trying that next time when I bake one. I saw the red eggs, my mum still boil red eggs for us on our birthdays too. A tradition to keep indeed:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vivian,

    what do u call the red color eggs? how do u make them? are they edible? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the red egg is edible! It is actually hard boiled egg coated with red coloring. Just well mixed some red coloring in vinegar. Then roll the hot/warm hard boiled egg into the mixture. Done!

      Delete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...