Thursday, March 14, 2013

Steamed Nian Gao (年糕) Kueh

Pin It Now!
Pin It
I like to eat Nian Gao especially sandwich in between sweet potato and yam. But I don't feel like making Nian Gao fritter. So the other way of enjoying is to steam and then coat with desiccated coconut! Instead of having only Nian Gao why not invite its' best buddy, sweet potato and yam as well!

Like fritter I used Nian Gao as filling, steam together with sweet potato and yam. Here come the steamed Nian Gao Kueh :D The best to enjoy is serving it as soon as come out from steamer. Can you see the Nian Gao oozing out? Let see how I make it.

Steamed Nian Gao Kueh (年糕)
Ingredients:
(A) sweet potato layer
150g sweet potato 
15g rice flour
15g glutinous rice flour

(B) yam layer
150g yam 
15g rice flour
15g glutinous rice flour
some water (only if too dry)

(C)
150g Nian Gao (年糕) for filling

250g desiccated coconut
Pinch of salt
*steam 10 minutes

Methods:
1. Remove skin, cut sweet potato/ yam into cubes. Arrange in steamer and steam till soft.

2. While sweet potato/ yam still hot, mashed. Add in the rest ingredients and knead to combine form soft dough. 

3. Cut Nian Gao into thin slices. Set aside.

4. Lightly grease 8' round pan. Assemble by scatter yam dough around pan. Lightly press to get even surface. Arrange Nian Gao slices. Then top with sweet potato dough. Cover with cling wrap (heat proof type) and now ready to steam.

5. Bring water to boil, place the pan in steamer and steam at medium heat for 10 minutes. 

6. Serve with steamed desiccated coconut while is hot! Enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your new idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't stop salivating! Seriously yumm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo...I still have a huge piece of nian gao standing on my dinning table.lol. Wonder what I can do with them. I am so craving for some right now. Wish I can have some of yours. hehe... Love the melting part. Slurpp..
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vivian! I like this healthier version! Less sinful and yet looks equally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I love the idea of adding sweet potato and yam to it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vivian, I like this steamed version. Good idea and addition of grated coconut, even better...

    ReplyDelete
  7. that oozing nian gao is killing me now! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...