Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies (Nigella Lawson)

Pin It Now!

If you looking for some comfort food this Totally Chocolate Chip Cookies are good to go! This recipe of Nigella has tons of chocolate goodness inside the cookies, with added melted chocolate, cocoa powder and lots of chocolate chips. The texture is soft and crumbly. They are great to go with milk.


I shaped my cookies with ice-cream scoop like the way Nigella did. This gave me 12 big cookies. I reduced the sugar as I'm using semi-sweet chocolate. I cut down the chocolate chips too. 2 cups chocolate chips for only 12 cookies...sound a lot to me :D


A blogger friend of mine, Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids did bake and post these cookies too. I found that her cookie batter is dryer and can be easily shaped round with spoons. After read the ingredients I found that the measurement is written in grams. I’m using the recipe from her cookbook which measurement is written in cups. I guess this yields different batter.


My cookies batter is wet and hardly shape into round with hands neither with spoons. I’m glad that I have an ice-cream scoop (just bought meant for shaping cookies :D) which ease the cookies shaping. In order to prevent my cookies flatten too fast in oven I kept the shaped cookies inside fridge to firm up, about 2-3 hours. Once the oven is preheated, take the cookies straight away from fridge and bake.   

 
Although I had reduce the amount of sugar, chocolate and chips in my cookies, they still taste totally chocolaty to me. I still feel pretty sinful to have a piece of it (remember mine one is big chocolaty cookie?) :P So, it is up to you how much chocolate to add into your desire Totally Chocolate Chip cookies :)

Adapted with modification from Nigella Express cookbook
Or refer Nigella.com (measurement in grams)
Totally Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
(A)
100g semisweet chocolate (reduced from 125g)
125g butter, room temperature
50g light brown sugar (original used ½ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup granulated sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (original used 1 teaspoon)
1 egg, cold from the fridge

(B)
½ cup all-purpose flour (original used 1 cup)
½ cup wholewheat flour (omit if used 1 cup all-purpose flour)
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder (replace for baking soda)
¼ teaspoon salt

(C)
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips (original used 2 cups)

Methods:
1. Melt the chocolate with double boiler method. Leave aside to cool slightly. Measure and sift the dry ingredients (B) into a bowl.

2. Cream the butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add the melted chocolate and mix together.

3. Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Scoop out the batter with ice-cream scoop and place on a lined baking sheet. Leave the cookies about 2 ½ inches apart, do not flatten them.

5. Bake for 18 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure they come out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter.


6. Leave to cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.

I'm submitting this post to :


Small Small Baker/Aspiring Bakers

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

JWsMadeWLuvMondays

8 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian,
    Seeing any cookie recipes are making me full of guilt! I have not baked cookies in ages and have promised the kids I would! I better bake some soon! These cookies are just perfect with a glass of cold milk, and for me, hot coffee!
    Thanks for linking to CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My my my cookie tin is empty....,. I came to fill it up with your totally choco chip cookies......

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Vivian, I baked this before, but I added cornflour to add some chewiness. Next time I want to try the original recipe without cornflour to get a crumbly kind of cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there can ever be too much chocolate and I'm loving the sound of these cookies, just crammed with chocolate! These do sound perfect with a big glass of milk and I'm sure would be a kid favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian,

    I have baked this recipe a few times using different brands and types of chocolate and the different batches of cookies can turned out differently!!! And, of course, I like the extra-chocolatey ones especially with Callebaut chocolate the most :p

    I didn't use wholemeal flour to bake these cookies before and would like to try baking your wholemeal version :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivian, love these cookies! I want to bake them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, Vivian, these are deliciously sinful cookies, so chocolatey. Yummmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you're right, even with your adaptations, the cookies must still taste insanely chocolate-y. Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...