Friday, November 15, 2013

Vegetarian Tofu Rolls (豆腐素卷)

Pin It Now!

I used to make lor bak with my mum especially when we are having big feast. Lor bak is actually marinated minced pork together with all sorts of vegetables, roll in beancurd sheet and then deep fried. Thanks to Butter.Flour and Me for her tofu rolls recipe. She inspired me to make this vegetarian tofu rolls.

These tofu rolls is soft inside with lightly crispy outside. All the root vegetables turn soft except water chestnut. It gives little crunch texture to these rolls. 

This is how I dice the chestnut. Put cut water chestnut into plastic bag. Then disintegrate the water chestnuts with the back of a knife or cleaver

These are the ingredients for filling.

This mixed filling is ready to be rolled.

This is how I wrap with beancurd sheet.



Reference from Butter.Flour and Me
Ingredients:
~Filling
200g soft tofu (can replace with 2 pieces of firm tofu, 豆干),mashed
200g yam, shredded
200g jicama (sengkuang), shredded
60g carrot, shredded
5 pieces water chestnut, peeled and diced
½ stick of celery, finely diced
10 tablespoons instant oatmeal
1 egg

~seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 piece dry beancurd sheet (tofu skin) for wrapping
*cut into triangle shape or any shape that you prefer
Oil, for deep-frying

Methods:
1. Add all the filling and seasoning into a mixing bowl. Mix to combine.

2. Wrap the filling with beancurd sheet. Repeat till all finish.

3. Heat enough cooking oil in a wok. When the oil is fully heated, turn the heat to medium. Gently drop in tofu rolls. Deep frying the rolls till turn golden brown. Remove and place on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce!


Note:
~These tofu rolls can be kept well in freezer. For easy removing, keep the rolls on plastic wrap without touching each other. When the time to consume, take out the frozen roll and pan fry (without adding any oil) on non-stick pan at low heat till the filling heat through and the tofu skin is crisp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm the host for November 2013 The Little Thumbs Up event with Oats theme. Cook or bake oats from whole oat groats, steel cut oats (Irish oatmeal), Scottish oatmeal, rolled oats (regular or quick rolled oats) and even oat flour. Do link up your recipes on this post and have fun! 

Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen from My Little Favourite DIYhosted by Vivian of Vivian Pang’s Kitchen.

10 comments:

  1. 早安。我来吃点心哦。嘻嘻 。。

    感觉这个月都很健康。燕麦食谱。很棒。哈哈 ~ 我的烤箱里烤着 muffin 了。很香,很香。等我 sharing ok。

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a totally delicious vegetarian lor bak Vivian. Very creative in choosing the fillings. I absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegetarian lor bak with oatmeal, healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to sink my teeth into one of these... The crispy skin, dipped into sweet sour chili sauce... Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian, looks yummy. But I must remember to omit the egg if it is for vegetarian meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father is vegetarian. He can take egg but not onion and garlic.

      Delete
  6. Yum...I think I order something similar when I was at a vegetarian restaurant and they are so delicious. I can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those ingredients sound so amazing! I love that these are different from the more standard veggie rolls you see so many other places...I'll have to give this a try. I wanted to let you know that I shared your post with my blog readers on my Weekend Wrap-Up post today, and have left the link below if you're interested. Thanks so much for the fabulous recipe, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    http://www.floptimism.com/2013/11/weekend-wrap-up-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, thanks so much for sharing this. Most vegetarian recipe wanted. lol.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can the oat flour be replaced with almond flour? I've often seen these tofu sheets on the shelves in the shops but wasn't sure how to use them. Now that you've taught me, I can't wait to try them. How do we stick the wrap so that it doesn't fall apart when frying? Thanks for sharing. Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...