According to Wikipedia gnocchi are various thick, soft dumplings. They may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, potato, bread crumbs, or similar ingredients. Classic accompaniments of gnocchi include tomato sauces, pesto, and melted butter (sometimes fried butter) with cheese.
Gnocchi is very simple to make at home. They are healthy and delicious when serve with your favourite sauces. I used to make my gnocchi with sweet potatoes. It is cheaper and sweeter compare to potatoes. Of course you can replace with potatoes.
- 250g steamed and mashed sweet potatoes
- 125g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 2tsp pepper
*the ratio for sweet potato and flour is 2:1
Put all the ingredients inside a pan.
Stir and press with a rice spatula till all come together.
1. Slightly use your hand to form all into a dough.
2. Divide the dough into manageable pieces and roll each piece into a 1” wide ‘snake’ .
3. Cut the long ‘snakes’ into 1” pieces.
4. Press each piece with a fork . This is to allow more flavour or sauces go into the gnocchi.
Heat a pot of water. Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and let them cook for 2-3 minutes, until they float to the surface.
Drain well. I serve with homemade roasted tomato, chilies sauce and green onions.
- It should be easy to form a dough. It is important not to knead much or add too much flour, or the gnocchi will be too dry.
- It can be kept very well in freezer. Toss some flour and layer plastic in between for easy separation. Cook the frozen gnocchi into boiling water whenever you want.