Sunday, November 21, 2010

Brown Sugar, "Gui Hua" Chiffon Cake

Pin It Now!


After the succeed of the pandan chiffon cake I keen to bake and play with different flavour. I get the idea from Taiwan cooking show which serve “tang yuan” in brown sugar , “Gui hua” and longan syrup. I like the flavour of the herbs therefore I incorporate in this chiffon cake.

I read about monthly baking event hosting by Small Small Baker . Therefore I use the pandan chiffon cake recipe from All That Matters as guide for my brown sugar, “gui hua” chiffon. I don’t know how to write Chinese word for “gui hua”. Therefore I attached the picture. Hope this can help.
I’m submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #1: Chiffon Cakes (Nov 2010)      


 

Ingredients
(A)
50g brown sugar
2 tbsp gui hua
Few pieces of dried longan
150ml water

(B)
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
40g vegetable oil

(C)
100g cake flour or low protein flour
1 tsp baking powder

(D)
5 egg whites
30g sugar

Method
1. Put all ingredients (A) into a pot. Bring to boil, off heat and let it sit for 10mins. This is to bring out more aroma from the herbs. Strain and set aside to cool.
2. Pour egg yolks, salt and oil in a bowl. Stir well.
3. Add in the cool syrup from (A). Stir well.
4. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder. Mix till smooth.
5. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporated.
7. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combined.
8. Pour into chiffon mould. This portion is ideal for 21cm chiffon mould. Since I don’t have I used 22cm mould.
9. Bake at 160C for 45-50 mins.
10. Immediately invert it after removal from oven. Leave to cool. When cake is cold, remove from mould. Served.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian, really, through this event, I got to know so many new bloggers and so many types of chiffon cakes. Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vivian,

    May I ask what type of brown sugar do you use?

    Is it those that are used in herbal tea (黑糖) or is it those that are selling in the baking section (赤砂糖)? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the one from baking section. I think the one used in herbal tea will work to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to confirm, you use those light brown sugar? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...