This is another great recipe for soft bread. This recipe is using water roux method same as Hokkaido milky loaf but without whipping cream. This is kind of bread can be made for everyday bread.
It has been quite some times I leave my bread machine aside. Since I don't have the mood to hand knead, this time I let the machine to do the work. The 1st time I follow the exact amount of water 125ml water and turn out sticky dough. Therefore I reduce the water to 110ml and this gave me the right easy handle dough. So do adjust the water level accordingly.
Ingredients: yield about 650g dough
~Water Roux/ Tangzhong Starter
50g bread flour
120g water roux starter
350g bread flour
7g milk powder
30g oil/ butter
~ Water Roux/ Tangzhong Starter
1. Put the bread flour inside a pot. Pour in the water slowly and whisk to combine. Continue till all the water finish. Make sure the mixture is lump free. Cook over low-medium heat till thick, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Cover with plastic wrap once is slightly cool. This is to prevent the surface from drying. Store in fridge once it is completely cool.
3. Thaw at room temperature before use. Preferably to use up in 3 days.
~ Bread Dough
1. In a bowl, dilute the water roux starter in 110ml water. Then pour inside bread machine together with sugar and salt.
2. Add in flour from (B). Yeast is the last ingredient adding inside the bread machine. Turn the machine on and let it knead about 10 minutes or dough is formed. Do check the wetness of the dough, if too dry add water or otherwise.
3. Once dough is formed, add in oil and continue knead to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and rest for 45 minutes.
4. Transfer to working surface. Divide the dough into 3 portions. Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.
5. Flatten each ball into rectangle and roll it up like swiss rolls. Repeat the same for the other portions.
6. Place inside a greased loaf tin (I'm using L23cm x W13cm x H8cm cake mould) and rest for 45 minutes.
7. Bake at 180C for 28-30 minutes.