I read this
milky loaf from Happy Home Baking who is strongly recommends this recipe. I had bookmarked this recipe quite sometimes. Since I have some whipping cream around, is time to try on this recipe. Hokkaido
The bread is amazingly great! The texture is really fluffy and cottony soft! Just like the bread selling at bakery shops. It is well effort to prepare the water roux. Furthermore the dough is easy to handle (I knead by hand).
I baked the dough into loaf and several mini buns.
Ingredients: yield about 600g dough
~Water Roux/ Tangzhong Starter (yields about 200g water roux)
50g bread flour
120g water roux starter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp salt
50g whipping cream (original cream fraiche)
300g bread flour
50g cake flour (original rye flour)
30g milk powder
30g oil/ butter
(D) Filling for mini bun
Some sausages and cheddar cheese
~ Water Roux/ Tangzhong Starter
1. Put the bread flour inside a pot. Pour in the water slowly and whisk to combine. Continue till all the water finish. Make sure the mixture is lump free. Cook over low-medium heat till thick, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Cover with plastic wrap once is slightly cool. This is to prevent the surface from drying. Store in fridge once it is completely cool.
3. Thaw at room temperature before use. Preferably to use up in 3 days.
~ Bread Dough
1. Put 120g water roux starter into a mixing bowl. Follow by other ingredients in (A). Stir to mix.
2. Add in flour from (B). Stir till all the flour coated with the liquid. Then, knead to form dough.
3. Add in oil and knead to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and rest for 45 minutes.
4. Transfer to working surface. Divide the dough into 2 portions (300g each). Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.
(a) Loaf Bread
5. Flatten the ball into rectangle and roll it up like swiss rolls.
6. Place inside a greased loaf tin and rest for 45 minutes.
7. Bake at 180C for 22-25 minutes.
(b)Mini cheese and sausage bun5. Divide the other portion (300g) into 50g each. Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.