This is a simple cheese pastry roll with sausages. These rolls are well accepted by kids.
I am sending this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #6: Say Cheese! (April 2011) hosted by Noms I Must.
Inspired by Nigella Lawson mini sausage rolls
2 cups plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp castor sugar
50g chilled butter, cubes
50g grated parmesan cheese
5-6 pieces sausage
* cut each sausage into 3 portions. Or using mini sausage.
1 egg (slightly beaten) for egg wash
1. Put flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add in cubes cold butter.
2. With your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Follow by grated parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
3. Make a well in the center. Pour in the milk (reserve about 10-15ml). Stir with fork to combine. If the mixture seems too dry, add in the milk a teaspoon at a time.
4. When the mixture starts to come together in small beads of dough, gently gather the dough together and lift in out onto a lightly floured work surface.
5. Gently press the dough and roll out into rectangle shape, about ½ cm thick. Cut into squares. The size should be large enough to roll the mini sausage.
6. Brush the sealing edge with egg. Fold to cover and seal tight by pressing with a fork. Place into greased baking tray and apply egg wash.
7. Bake at 200C for 18-20 minutes.