This recipe is actually from one of my copied bread cookbook. I only have the content without the front page! Therefore I can't tell which cookbook that I referring to. Anyway it is a great recipe.
The recipe actually calls for 100% orange juice. Since I don't have the pure juice (don't feel like squeezing fresh oranges) I substitute with TANGS orange instant powder. However I did add orange zest as written in the recipe. The amount needed is quite a lot, 20g about 2 pieces of oranges. Although I had remove the white part and adding the sugar into the zest the buns still turn out little “bitter”. I will reduce orange zest to half next time.
Ingredients: yields about 30g x 16 pieces
1 ½ tbsp TANGS orange instant powder
1 ½ tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
300g bread flour
20g margarine/ butter
20g orange zest (from 2 oranges)
1 tbsp sugar
* prepare as shown in picture. Set aside.
1. Put all ingredients (A) into a bowl and stir to mix. Add (B) and knead to form dough.
2. Add margarine/butter and continue kneading to form smooth and elastic dough. Add in the zest and knead to well combine (is alright if some castor sugar not dissolve). Cover and let it prove for 1 hour 15 minutes.
3. Transfer to working surface. Divide the dough into 30g portions Shape into balls and place on greased baking tray(I used 8" square pan). Leave to prove for 45 minutes.
4. Apply some egg wash. Sprinkle some castor sugar on top. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes.