This recipe was inspired by 阿芳的3杯面粉,葱烧饼 (green onion pancake). I was attracted by the shape and filling inside these pancake. Although it was a pancake it used bread flour in the recipe. I consider them as bread. I like the layers of green onion in these buns. It not only contributes fragrant but also texture of the buns.
Inspired by 葱烧饼 from 阿芳的3杯面粉 cookbook
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp yeast
~ Filling and Coating
(A) Seasoned green onion
A bunch of green onion (about 100g)
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
* Mix when you about to use it.
(B) Honey mixture
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp warm water
* Stir to mix and set aside
Some raw white sesame for coating
30g condensed milk
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Above sponge dough
2 cups bread flour
¼ tsp yeast
20g margarine/ butter
Mix all till form dough. Keep the dough inside greased plastic bag. Make a tight knot. Immediately store in fridge at least 4 hours before used. (I used to prepare one night before) Thaw at room temperature about 10 minutes before use.
~ Green Onion
Rinse the green onion well then hang to dry. Cut into dice and keep inside fridge before used.
~ Main Dough
1. Put water, egg, condensed milk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir to mix. Add in the small pieces of sponge dough (tear into small portions). Follow by bread flour and yeast. Knead till form dough.
2. Add margarine/butter and continue kneading to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and let it prove for 1 hour 15 minutes.
3. Transfer to working surface. Slightly knead to remove air bubbles. Divide the dough into 6 portions (about 100g each). Shape into balls and rest for 10 minutes.
4. Flatten into rectangle shape, about 5cm x 20cm long. Add some seasoned green onion in the center. Cover by folding in both side of the dough. Again roll flat into rectangle shape. Repeat the onion filling and folding. Roll into square and cut diagonal into 2 rectangles.
5. Brush the surface with honey mixture. Then evenly coat with the sesame seeds. Repeat the same for the other side. Place on greased baking tray and leave to prove for 30 minutes.
6. Bake at 170C about 12-15 minutes.