Today I will post cake recipe to support this month Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted. Will continue my bread series on Monday.
I like to add in fruits or vegetables when come to bake cake. Incorporate pumpkin in butter cake make me feel not so guilty when having it for breakfast or tea break :D My kids like this cake too especially when I bake in Zebra pattern.
Adapted and modified from Jane's pumpkin butter cake
200g margarine (butter)
120g light brown sugar
5 eggs (lightly beaten)
225g cake flour
75g cornmeal (optional)
*Use 300g cake flour if not using cornmeal
½ tsp salt
1 tsp double baking powder
* sift and set aside
200g pumpkin puree
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2½ tbsp hot water
*dissolve and set aside
1. Cream margarine and sugar till light and fluffy. Slowly add in eggs and beat till well combined.
2. Fold in the dry ingredients from (B) in batches alternative with pumpkin puree. Mix till well incorporated.
3. Divide the batter into 2 parts. Mix the cocoa mixture into one part of the batter.
4. Spoon ½ cup of plain batter in the middle of greased 8” square pan. Follow by ½ cup of cocoa batter on top of the plain batter. Alternative the plain and cocoa batter till all the batter is finish. During the layering process, slightly shake the baking pan to allow the batter flow to the edges.
5. Bake at 180C for 32-35 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on wire rack. Cut when it is completely cool.
Here I like to take this opportunity to wish all mothers a very
HAPPY MOTHERS DAYS!
Mother I love you!