Today fell like baking something for myself. I always like the combination of cocoa and coffee when come to baking. So I decided to bake this chocolate, coffee chiffon cake. They are just match very well together. Although the amount of coffee powder is not much it still give difference to this chocolate chiffon cake.
I’m submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted.
Adapted and slightly modified from ytower cupcake dessert cookbook
30ml vegetable oil
60ml evaporated milk
½ tsp salt
10g cocoa powder
1 tsp coffee powder
50g cake flour
½ tsp baking powder
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1. Heat all ingredients (A) over double-boiler till warm (about 60C). Off the heat and add in cocoa and coffee powder. Stir to mix. Follow by flour and baking powder. Stir to combine.
2. Add in egg yolks and stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat until soft peak.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the cocoa mixture till well incorporated. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combined.
5. Pour into 16cm (18cm should be better) chiffon mould. Bake at 160C for 25 minutes.
6. Immediately invert it after removal from oven. Leave to cool. When cake is cold, remove from mould.