I saw fellow bloggers baked chocolate swiss roll with peanut butter filling. I’m sure these two flavours go well with each other. Instead of using butter cream, whipping cream I used peanut butter with cocoa powder instead. Therefore the filling looks little runny.
The rainbow rice and strawberry flavour chocolate chips goes dull after the baking process. Next time will omit.
Adapted and slightly modified from孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook
20g cocoa powder
40g hot water
3 egg yolks
30g vegetable oil
75g cake flour
* Sifted and set aside
(E) Topping (if using)
Some rainbow rice
Some strawberry flavour chocolate chips
(F) Peanut butter filling
10g cocoa powder
1 tbsp hot water
15g icing sugar
50g peanut butter
Some hot water (if needed)
*Dissolve the cocoa powder in hot water. Add in the sugar, peanut butter and still till well combine. Add hot water if the filling is too thick. Adjust till reach the spreading consistency.
1. Dissolve the cocoa powder with the hot water into paste. Set aside.
2. Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine. Follow by the cocoa paste. Add the remaining ingredients (B) and stir well. Fold in sifted flour and mix till smooth.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour the batter into baking pan (I'm using 26cm x 26cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Sprinkle rainbow rice and chocolate chips evenly on surface. Bake in the pre-heated oven 190C for 15-17 minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 5 minutes).
7. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread the filling evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .