Recently I am craving for chocolate. Instead of eating the chocolate bar, I baked chocolate swiss roll with chocolate cream filling. 2 pieces of chocolate swiss rolls with a cup of hot coffee during tea time is all I need. :)
Adapted and slightly modified from 孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook
10g cocoa powder
40ml hot water
* Dissolve and stir well. Set aside
(B)3 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
20g vegetable oil
75g cake flour
* Sifted and set aside
Some chocolate rice
(D)3 egg whites
(E) Butter cream for filling
80g margarine/ butter
20g icing sugar
30g melted chocolate
* Whip margarine and icing sugar till well combine. Add in melted chocolate and beat till well incorporate.
1. Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine. Add the cocoa mixture from (A) and the remaining ingredients (B). Stir well.
2. Fold in sifted flour and mix till smooth.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour batter into baking pan (I'm using 21cm x 30cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Sprinkle chocolate rice evenly on the surface. Bake in the pre-heated oven 170C for 13-15 minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 10 minutes).
7. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread butter cream evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .