Recently everyone busy with swiss rolls making. I will support this month Aspiring Bakers #9 event too, "Swiss Rolling Good Times"!
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .
This swiss roll is similar to my early post Pandan Kaya Swiss Roll. Do refer for steps on rolling technique (pictures attached).
Adapted and modified from ytower cupcake cookbook
3 egg yolks
30g vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp strawberry paste
60g cake flour
1 tbsp milk powder
3 egg whites
piping jelly for spreading (any jam you like)
1. Pour egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine.
2. Add the remaining ingredients in (A) into the bowl. Stir well.
3. Fold in sifted flour and milk powder. Mix till smooth.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour batter into baking pan (I'm using 33cm x 30cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Bake in the pre-heated oven 160C for 20-22 minutes.
6. Immediately invert it on rack after removal from oven. Leave to cool (about 10 minutes). Remove the baking paper and let it cool completely.
7. When the cake has cool down, used a knife to slit 2 lines, but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread jam evenly on the surface. Leave 1cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.