Poppy seeds used to bake along with banana. They are great combination. The poppy seeds not only give texture but also natural looks for this swiss roll.
Inspired from孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook
3 egg yolks
20g vegetable oil60g mashed banana
(B)75g cake flour
1 tbsp poppy seeds
* Sift the flour and mix with the seeds. Set aside.
(D) Custard cream filling
1. Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine. Add the remaining ingredients (A) and stir well.
2. Fold in sifted flour, poppy seeds and mix till combine.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour the batter into baking pan (I'm using 26cm x 26cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Bake in the pre-heated oven 190C for 15 minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 5 minutes).
7. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. Turn the cake over. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread the filling evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .