I have some left over cream cheese from previous baking (Banana chocolate cheese cake). After some searching then I found this coffee cake which is using cream cheese as filling. Without any hesitate I bake this cake.
I baked in 8” square pan instead of 9” round pan. Therefore I reduce the amount of cream cheese. As usual I reduce the sugar level too. Since I don’t have any fresh berries I replace with canned peaches.
Overall I’m very happy with the result. I can taste the flavour of the cream cheese and the sweetness of the cinnamon flavoured streusel. It is great to have it with a cup of hot coffee. I definitely will bake this again.
Adapted and modified from Joy of Baking, BlackberryCream Cheese Coffee CakeIngredients:
50g margarine/ butter
60g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
80 ml milk
130 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
* Sift and set aside
2 peaches(canned peaches,cut into slices)
(B) Cream Cheese Filling150g cream cheese (room temperature)
50 g white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp plain flour
* Beat the cream cheese till light and smooth. Then add in the rest ingredients and beat till smooth and creamy. Set aside.
(C)Streusel Topping45 g plain flour
30g light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
20 g margarine/ butter
* Mix all together until resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
1. With the electric mixer, beat the margarine till smooth and creamy.
2. Add the sugar and beat till fluffy. Follow by egg and vanilla and beat till well combine.
3. Add in the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Fold to combine.
4. Spread the batter evenly onto lined 8” square pan. Next spread the cream cheese filling over the cake batter. Arrange the slices of peaches over the filling and top with the streusel.
5. Bake in preheated oven 180C for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.