This is my first time baking sponge cake with this egg separation method. I learn from孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook. With the step by step illustration I manage to bake the cake nicely.
I had reduced the amount of sugar as I change this pumpkin swiss roll into savoury type, mayo and pork floss filling. For those who like to roll with sweet filling do increase the sugar level.
Adapted and slightly modified from 孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook
* melt and set aside
4 egg yolks
70g pumpkin puree
½ tsp salt
4 egg whites
50g cake flour
Some mayo for spreading
Pork floss for filling
1. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk the mixture by heating the bowl over double-boiler till warm. (I’m using electric mixture for the job). Whisk until the yolks turn pale and creamy.
2. Remove the yolk mixture from heat. Add in pumpkin puree and salt. Stir to combine.
3. In another bowl, add in egg whites and sugar. Beat the whites till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporated. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combined.
5. Fold in the sifted flour into step (4) in 3 batches till well combine.
6. Remove some of the batter (step 5) into melted butter bowl. Stir to mix well.
7. Pour the butter batter (step 6) back to the step 5 batter. Fold to mix well.
8. Pour batter into baking pan (I'm using 33cm x 30cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Bake in the pre-heated oven 170C for 13-15 minutes.
9. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 5 minutes).
10. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread mayo evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread. Then sprinkle pork floss on top.
11. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .