This time I’m using purple sweet potato in the swiss roll. I like the bright purple colour especially the filling.
Adapted and slightly modified from孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook
4 egg yolks
20g vegetable oil
1/4 tsp salt
50g mashed purple potato
65g cake flour
* Sifted and set aside
4 egg whites
(D) Potato filling
50g margarine/ butter
20g icing sugar
100g mashed purple potato
* Beat margarine and icing sugar till creamy. Follow by mashed potato. Beat till well combine and ready to be used.
1. Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine. Add the remaining ingredients (A) and stir well.
2. Fold in sifted flour and mix till smooth.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour the batter into baking pan (I'm using 26cm x 26cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Bake in the pre-heated oven 190C for 15-17 minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 5 minutes).
7. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. Turn over the cake. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread the filling evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .