I encounter problem of getting nice brown skin for my swiss roll. After some searching from fellow bloggers post I found the answers! It is related to oven temperature. In孟老師的美味蛋糕啳 cookbook she bakes her sponge cake with pre-heated oven 190C for top and 160C at the bottom. You might notice the top temperature is quite high. This is to get the skin cook well and end up not easy to peel off during the rolling process.
Since I can’t set my oven with different temperature, I bake with higher temperature 190C instead of 170C. Besides I also bake 2-3 minutes longer by monitoring the cake surface colour. Yes it works! This time my banana swiss roll has nice brown skin.
I am submitting this post for this month Aspiring Bakers #9 – Swiss Rolling Good Times!(Jul 2011) hosted by Obsessedly Involved with Food .
Reference from HappyHome Baking, banana chiffon cakeIngredients:
3 egg yolks
20g vegetable oil1/4 tsp salt
90g mashed banana
(B)55g cake flour
* Sifted and set aside
3 egg whites
(D) Nutella filling3 tablespoon nutella
* Dissolve and set aside.
1. Put egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Stir till well combine. Add the remaining ingredients (A) and stir well.
2. Fold in sifted flour and mix till smooth.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add sugar gradually and beat till stiff.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combine.
5. Pour the batter into baking pan (I'm using 26cm x 26cm) lined with greased baking paper. Smooth the surface with a scrapper. Bake in the pre-heated oven 190C for 15-17 minutes.
6. Once cooked, transfer the cake by lifting the baking paper (edges) to wire rack. Leave to cool (about 5 minutes).
7. Invert the cake and gently remove the baking paper. With a knife cut 2 lines (at the beginning of rolling point) but the cake is still attached to each other. Spread the filling evenly on the surface. Leave 1-2cm remain unspread.
8. Hold the cake with both hands and roll gently. When the swiss roll is rolled up, make sure the ending portion facing downward. Keep the roll in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cut and serve.