This is a big portion of dough. The reason I choose this recipe is I want to make burger buns for dinner and bread for tomorrow breakfast. This recipe is using Sponge dough method which needs a longer preparation time. It is worth waiting as it produces a softer, bigger loaf which keeps longer. I suggest do use electric mixer for the hard kneading process.
Besides sharing Alex Goh recipe I like to share on Carol, Marble chocolate loaf bread. The marble effect is really pretty on the slice of bread. Although is not as neat as Carol ones. I very enjoy during the folding and rolling process. I will try again for strawberry flavour next time.
Source: The world of bread cookbook by Alex Goh
(A) Sponge Dough
2 tsp yeast
2 tbsp water
420g bread flour½ tbs sugar
220ml cold water
(B) Main Dough50g sugar
1 tsp salt
120g plain flour60g bread flour
1 tsp yeast
40ml cold water
60g margarine/ butter
Methods:1. Mix yeast and water and leave aside for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients from (A) and knead to form dough. Cover and rest for 2 1/2 hours.
2. Add sugar, salt and egg from the main dough. Mix till well blended. Then add flour, instant yeast and water. Knead till all ingredients well combine and form dough.
3. Add in margarine and knead to form smooth and elastic dough. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then it is ready for making bread.
Marble Chocolate Loaf Bread (I used about 450g of above dough)
*Do visit Carol blog for more details steps on making this pretty marble loaf bread.
~ Chocolate filling(A)
50g cooking chocolate
20g margarine/ butter
(B)20g bread flour
10g cocoa powder
5g corn flour
1 egg white
Methods:~ Chocolate filling
1. Melt the chocolate and margarine via double boiler method. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift in all the flour from (B). Then add in milk and sugar. Mix well. Follow by melted chocolate, margarine mixture. Lastly add in egg white. Whisk till all well combine.
3. Cook the mixture on stove at low flame. Do whisk constantly while heating up the mixture. The chocolate filling is ready once the mixture turns thick (obvious lines appear on mixture surface as you stir).
4. Transfer the chocolate filling on cling wrap. Cover with cling wrap and leave aside to cool (about 3-5minutes).
5. Roll out the filling into square (about 18cm x 18cm). Wrap and keep in the fridge to set.
~ Shaping1. Roll out the dough into square (about 2 times bigger than chocolate filling).
2. Remove the chocolate filling from fridge and place in the center of the roll out dough. Wrap the filling like parcel.
3. Then roll out the parcel 2 times bigger than the original size. Fold 1/3 to the middle. Fold the other 1/3 on top. Repeat the same process for another 2 times.
4. After the folding process, roll out the dough into rectangle shape. Cut the dough into 3 equal strips (with the top still attach).
5. Braid the strips into plait. Place inside a grease mould and leave to rest for 45 minutes.
6. Bake in preheated oven 170C about 25-30 minutes. Do cover with aluminium foil if the top brown too quick during the baking time.
7. Remove and cool on wire rack.
The rest of the portions are for butter buns and burger buns.