I bake this oatmeal square again! My last post is blueberry pie jam filling and this time I baked with lemon curd filling. The tanginess of lemon really makes this oatmeal square very refreshing. Definitely is a keeper for me.
Adapted and modified from Joy of Baking, raspberry oatmeal square
~Filling: Lemon Curd
80ml fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
2 tbsp margarine/ butter
Zest of 2 lemons
110g margarine/ butter
80g light brown sugar
100g plain flour
* if not using cornmeal, replace all with 175g plain flour.
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla powder
½ tsp salt
* sift and set aside
180g rolled oat
~ Filling: Lemon curd
1. Put eggs, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl. Cook over double boiler till thick.
2. Remove from heat, add in the margarine. Once the margarine melt add in the lemon zest.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge. (it is better to prepare several hours or a day in advance)
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (hand mix is good enough). Add in the egg and mix till well combined.
2. Fold in the dry ingredients from (B) except rolled oat till well incorporated. Stir in 150g of rolled oat (part of rolled oat).
3. Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the lined square pan (I'm using 8”). Spread the lemon filling over the oatmeal base.
4. Add the balance of 30g rolled oat into the remaining dough. Crumble the dough over the lemon filling.
5. Bake in the preheated oven 180C about 30 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool and then cut into squares.
I know this is not a pie. Since this square has filling in between crust. I will submitting this post for this month theme, Aspiring Bakers #10 –Easy as Pie (August 2011), hosted by Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink!.