Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thousand Layer Mooncake with Purple Sweet Potato Filling

Pin It Now!

I make thousand layer mooncake again. This time I used purple sweet potato as the filling. And I make sure I weight the right amount of pastry for 12 pieces of mooncake :D This time is less time consuming and is a lot easier to shape the pastry compare to previous post, Thousand layer mini yam mooncake.
 



Adapted and slightly modified from Carol recipe
Do visit Carol blog for detail steps.
Ingredients:
~ Purple sweet potato filling
450g sweet potato
50g brown sugar
Pinch of salt
25g margarine/ butter

~ Water dough
200g plain flour
15g icing sugar
35g lard
100ml water

~ Oil dough
160g low protein flour
30g lard
40g vegetable oil
Some purple colouring


Methods:
~ Sweet potato filling
1. Steam the sweet potato till soft . While it is hot, add in brown sugar, salt and margarine. Mix well and mash into paste.
* I used electric mixer (with K hook) to do the job.

2. Leave aside to cool. Divide into 40g each.
 

~ Water dough
1. Mix the sifted flour and icing sugar together. Add in the lard and roughly mix to form crumbs. Pour all water at once and knead to form soft dough.
* I found that it is easier to get soft dough by adding all water at once.

2. Cover and leave to rest for 40 minutes.


~ Oil dough
1. Add purple colouring into the vegetable oil. Mix well.
* For more easy mixing and even colour.

2. Follow by lard and the flour. Mix together and knead to form dough.
* Do not over knead.
 

~ Shaping
1. Divide the water and oil dough into 6 portions (water dough 60g each and oil dough 40g each). Shape them into balls.

2. Wrap each oil dough with water dough and form a ball. Repeat the same for the rest.

3. Roll out the ball (start from the 1st ball from step 2) into oval shape. Then roll up like swiss roll. Keep aside to rest. Repeat the same for the next ball.

4. Back to the 1st roll, flatten into long oval shape (do flatten by apply pressure from the middle, up and down). Again roll up like swiss roll. Keep aside to rest. Repeat the same for the rest.

5. Cut the 1st roll into half. Flatten the dough into round. Wrap in the filling with cut side outward. Repeat the same for the rest of the rolls.

6. Bake in preheated oven 180C for 25 minutes. Then bake for further 2-3 minutes at 250C (for more golden brown).



7 comments:

  1. This is nice, this morning I did something similar with purple sweet potato too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your swirl look nicer than me! well done. Love your sweet potato filling too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so delicious ! so tempted to buy the sweet potato and try it out.:)

    Hei

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Tze,
    Thanks. Wait for your purple sweet potato post then.

    Sonia,
    Practice make perfect! Quite a lot of swirl I made from previous mini mooncake. I really enjoy the shaping process.

    Hei,
    The sweet potato is indeed bright purple colour. That's why I like to use in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good at making mooncakes. I tried to make some the other day but fail miserably. I like the idea of using sweet potato as the filling as it is difficult for me to get yam/taro here. Thanks for sharing this. I am going to try this out. By the way, I tried your pau recipe and it turns out well. Going to put it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, the layers are beautiful..can see that you're getting better than better doing this thousand layers mooncake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi..Vivian , i eagerly wanna try this recipe.. What is the substitution of Lard? Could I use butter milk? Thank you vy much

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...