Sunday, January 1, 2012

Crispy Skin Roasted Duck

Pin It Now!

Lately I'm busy with house cleaning and son's preparation to school. My mum is here and she will stay with us about a week. I'm sure will cook and bake something she like. 
 
My elder son is going to primary 1, Chinese school. I'm worry about his adaption to his new school. He hardly talks mandarin although we as parent communicate in mandarin. Worry about his ability to listen and read his text book. Planning to send him for tuition after Chinese New Year. I hope he able to catch up.

 

Well enough story of mine let's move to today recipe. 2012 1st post...crispy skin roasted duck :) I bake this yesterday! Still have another half in my fridge. My family especially my sons enjoy it very much! They told me taste just like the one having in restaurant :D Here I like to thanks My Little Space and My Kitchen Snippets for the recipe and idea of preparing this dish. I definitely will bake again.


Adapted and slightly modified from My Little Space and My Kitchen Snippets
Ingredients :

1 whole duck (about 2kg)
3 cups water
2 tbsp maltose
1 tbsp vinegar

~Seasoning
3 tbsp fermented soybean paste
1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

3 pieces shallot (without skin)
3 cloves garlic (with skin)


Method :
1. Combine water, maltose & vinegar in a wok/a large pot and bring it to boil.

2. Pad the duck dry. Bath the duck with the boiling mixture for several times.


3. Place the duck as shown and sun dry for 2 hours.

4. Bath the duck for 2nd time, sun dry again for another 2-3 hours or till a dried & hard skin is formed.

5. Combine all the seasonings (except shallot and garlic) and mix well. Spread the seasoning around the inner part. Lastly put in the shallots and garlics. Do not rub mixture over the outer skin!

6. Bake in preheated oven 190C for about an hour or until the skin is brown & crispy. (I bake mine about 1 hour 15 minutes).

Hope your all enjoy my crispy skin roasted duck.
Wishing all
Happy New Year!
Happy cooking and baking in year 2012!


8 comments:

  1. That's a very evenly browned roast duck! My boys would love this duck too! Wishing you Happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you. Dont worry too much about your son....I think he will be able to cope well. My 2 kids went to Chinese school although we (my husband and I) are both English educated and could hardly speak a word of Mandarin.Both did okay....especially my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Vivian. I like the nicely brown duck you have here. I should try it out with duck the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY TOO, Vivian. Wow, your crispy duck look s incredibly delish. I'm with Gert too. Maybe we should try with duck too someday. And thanks so much for the shout out as well. Hope you're having a wonderful time.
    Best wishes
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. vivian, this is too tempting!! would make a great dish for cny too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice duck! I love duck, and hard to find fresh ones here in my town, it's frozen and it don't taste good. I bought a fresh duck once from KL and it tasted so much better. I hope to try making roast duck too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wondering if i can use only breast or thigh part for this recipe,what temperature and how long?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...