Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Perfect Fudge Brownies

Pin It Now!

This recipe is using ice bath. It involves baking the brownies at a high temperature then dunking the pan in an ice bath, which stop the cooking from the outside in. This method able to create smooth and creamy in the center, crisp on the top and firm at the bottom.


I baked in 8" square pan. I found the batter is too little for my pan. I baked for 20 minutes as recommended. My brownies seems cooked through instead of “smooth and creamy” in the center. If happened to bake again I will shorten the baking time to 15 minutes.

 


Adapted from Baking Bites, New Classic Brownies
Ingredients:
(A)
8 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
4 oz unsweetened chocolate (I used semi-sweet chocolate)

(B)
1 1/4 cups sugar (I reduced to 50g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup walnuts or pecans (I omit)
 
Method:

1. Melt the butter and the chocolate together in a bowl via double boiler method, stirring often until smooth.

2. Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, followed by flour. Stir until very smooth, about 1 minute. Add nuts, if using.

3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake at 200C for 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, prepare a water bath. Fill a large roasting pan with water and ice about 1 inch deep. When the brownies are done – and they will look a bit dry on top – take them immediately from the oven and place in the water bath. Add more ice to the water if necessary. Allow to cool completely in the bath before removing the pan and cutting the brownies.

I'm submitting this for Bake Along No. 16 : Theme - Brownies.  Do bake and share your brownies recipe too.



9 comments:

  1. Wow, from 250gm of sugar reduced to 50gm?
    That's a huge reduction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using semi-sweet chocolate. The 50g sugar is little but is enough sweetness for my brownies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi vivian, nice to hv you joining our bake along. This is the first time i know about baking in high heat and then placed over water bath..so that purpose is to achieve a more fudge and creamy texture? how's your baby? has she started to roll and sit up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Vivian, will try the method the next time I bake brownies.. thks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Viv,

    This is an interesting method to keep a brownies moist! This is the first time that I know about using ice bath for brownies baking. Very brilliant-thinking to bake this innovative brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, this is an interesting method! I've never heard about it until now... Thanks for sharing the tip! Will try it out when I bake my brownies in the future (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am intrigued by the water bath! I'll have to try that sometime. Did the brownies taste sweet enough with 50g of sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena,
    Yes. It is to stop the process of further cooking in the center of brownies to get smooth texture.
    My girl can't roll yet but can sit up quite well :)

    Alice,
    Waiting for your brownies post.

    Zoe,Jasline,
    It is my 1st time of using this method(follow recipe oven temperature).I think my brownies is a bit cook. Therefore can't get the creamy texture in center.Do monitor your temperature to get the perfect brownies :)

    Baking Addict,
    I'm using semi-sweet chocolate. My sweetness level is quite low. I can have black kopi without sugar:P The brownies is sweet enough for my sons to enjoy. You can add further 10-15g sugar if you like. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vivian,
    Your brownies looks wonderful! I have not tried baking brownies using an ice-bath method before, sounds really interesting! Thank you for sharing and for joining our Bake-Along! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...