Friday, March 16, 2012

Boston Cheesecake

Pin It Now!

I like cheesecake especially heavy type. I would say this Boston cheesecake is not that airy like Japanese light cheesecake. I like to taste its' soft texture especially after chilled in fridge...just super!
 
I bake cheesecake quite sometimes but didn't post it. The appearance of my cheesecake is not good. Taste wise is nice. After many bakes I manage to know 'temper' of my oven for baking cheesecake. Sign...this Boston cheesecake is my best looking cheesecake so far :D


 

The recipe say once cooked remove the cake from oven and immediately remove from mould. This is to prevent the 'sweet' trapped during the cooling process. So do line your cake pan with paper on the bottom and sides (I’m using 9” round springform pan. I just line the sides). This is to ease the removing process. As for the base I use crushed biscuits. You can replace with 9” round sponge cake (about 2cm thick). 

Lke other cheesecake recipe water bath is used. That's mean placing the cake pan into a slightly bigger, shallower pan. Fill the bigger pan with boiling water and bake. I bake several times with springform pan and wrap around with aluminium foil. However the water still manages to sip inside! @o@ Therefore I prefer placing the hot water separately from the cake pan as shown. I read somewhere by doing this it works like the water bath too. So far it works very well for me.





Adapted from Alex, Creative Making of Cakes cookbook
Bake in 9” round springform pan
Ingredient:
~ Base
10 pieces cream cracker, crushed
20g sugar
50g melted butter
 

~ Cake
(A)
150ml milk
20g sugar
3 egg yolks
20g cornflour

(B)
250g cream cheese

(C)
Zest of ½ lemon
130ml whipping cream

(D)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
60g sultanas (omit)

(E)
3 egg whites
60g sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Method:
~ Base
Combine all the ingredients till evenly blended. Press into 9” round springform pan. Refrigerate till firm.

~ Cake
1. Bring 100ml of milk from (A) with the sugar to boil. Add the remaining milk, yolks and cornflour. Continue to cook till thicken. Set aside to cool.

2. Beat the cream cheese till smooth and light. Add in the cooled (A). Mix till well combined.
 
3. Add (C) and mix well. Follow by (D) and mix to well combine.

4. Whip the egg whites in (E) till foamy. Add the sugar and lemon juice. Continue to whip till stiff.  Then add into the cheese mixture in batches.
 
5. Pour the batter in 9” round springform pan (with biscuit or sponge cake as base). Bake in water bath at 150C for about 2 hours or until the centre is set. Remove from the oven. Take out from the mould immediately. Chill before serve.
* I bake at 150C for 25 minutes. Then turn the temperature to 120C and bake further 1 hour and 20 minutes.



Tip: Closely monitor the cheesecake while baking, when you see the surface has the “crack” sigh (about after 25 minutes in oven) do reduce the temperature and bake further till the centre is set.
   
Happy Baking!




5 comments:

  1. Hey, this looks good, soft and thanks for the tip re the water bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family prefer light cheese cake than this heavy cheese cake , anyway yours look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston cheesecake, the 1st time I heard abt it, it reminds me of New York cheesecake. Both from US, so they are also heavy? Hmmm, love it. The best way for me to eat this type of cake is to have a cuppa tea next to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes i get confused with boston, new york or simply a cheesecake. It's been ages since i last baked a cheesecake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this kind of cheesecake! I want to try t cook it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...