I steamed these blossom mantou again! This time I tried Kristy's blossom mantou recipe. It works very well too.
~Starter Dough (yield around 400g starter dough)
250g all-purpose flour
1 tsp instant yeast
(combine all ingredients & mix well then set aside to ferment overnight or at least 8 hours)
~Main Dough (around 8 buns)
300g all-purpose flour
2 tbsp shortening (replace with vegetable oil)
200g starter dough
150g sugar (reduce to 110g)
* for brown sugar mantou replace castor sugar with brown sugar. Make sure sieve before use.
1/4 tsp lye water (omit)
2 tsp baking powder
*some food colouring
(kneading with stand mixer)
1. Mix together ingredients (B) till baking powder dissolved.
2. Combine ingredients (A) & (B) into kneading bowl. Knead till form smooth dough.
3. Transfer the dough to working surface. For red dough remove small portion and add in food colouring. Shape into ball. Cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough into rectangle. Place the coloured dough (shape into log first) in the center. Wrap and seal tight. Shape into log.
5. Without further fermentation, straight away divide into 8 portions by twisting the dough for separation. For better result do not use a knife.
*Refer here for the step
4. Place dough on parchment paper & rest for 15 minutes. Steam over high heat for 15-20 minutes. Leave to rest for few minutes before open the lid.
Note: I'm very happy with this time blossom mantou as they have "big smile" compare to last batch. For the last batch mantou the pressure of my steamer is not hot enough. This time I place my mantou directly on hot steaming water instead of steamer basket.