Friday, December 28, 2012

Chocolate Snowflake Cake Pops

Pin It Now!
Pin It
I make these cake pops in order to 'rescue' my not so nice to 'see' and 'eat' cupcakes. Initially I plan to bake chocolate cupcake and top with chocolate ganache. So I can clear some of the whipping cream which I used in making Christmas Log Cake. But ...looking at them ... With those mushroom 'head' I have to change my plan. LOL! I can't pour ganache on them!
 


Why not nice to 'eat'? Well the baking soda that recipe called is a bit too much. I can taste it in my cake. Next time should reduce a bit. Therefore I decide to crumb it and make into cake pops.
 

I'm glad I make these cake pops. Aren't they cute and pretty? I really enjoy the process. Thanks to my hubby of taking care my little princess :) Actually you can use any chocolate cake that you have or even the store bought one. Today I'm using Martha Stewart chocolate cake recipe.
Inside look of the cake pop

Some are packed given as present to friends!
Adapted from Martha Stewart chocolate buttermilk cupcake
~Chocolate cake
Ingredients:
(A)
¾ cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
(Next time will reduce to ¼ teaspoon as I can taste it in the cake)
¼ teaspoon salt
* Sieve and set aside
90g sugar

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Few tablespoons of hot water
 
(B)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 tablespoons buttermilk
* Replace with milk with added ½ teaspoon vinegar(after mixing set aside for 10 minutes).
1 large egg
1 large egg white
 
Methods:
1. In a large mixing bowl, add in sifted flour mixture and sugar; set aside.

2. Combine cocoa and 3 tablespoons (I used about 4 ½) hot water until a thick paste forms (this process intensifies the chocolate flavour).

3. Add butter, buttermilk, egg and egg white; whisk until combined.

4. Whisk in flour mixture until smooth.

5. Pour batter into 8' round lined pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.

6. Transfer cake on wire rack to cool completely.
 
 
After the cake cool completely let see how to transfer it into cute cake pop ^^ Since I want to clear whipping cream from my fridge I choose cake pop with whipping cream as combine agent.
I can't get the cake pop sticks from bakery shop therefore I used bamboo sticks instead. Just trim off the pointy side to get shorter length.
 
~Cake pops
Adapted and modified from Lauren of Fredellicious
Ingredients:
Chocolate cake from above recipe
* You can used store bought chocolate cake as well
* I make 20 cake pops with 6 cupcakes as shown)
1/2 cup +/- whipping cream
 
Melted chocolate for coating
Some candy sprinkles to decorate
Styrofoam to hold cake pops
Cake pop sticks (I used bamboo sticks; trim away the pointy side to get shorter sticks)
 
Methods:
1. Tear the cake into pieces and put into big bowl. Then rub with both hands till all cake pieces become fine crumbs.
 
2. Start adding the cream.  Add in 1/4 cup first. Mix together. Add the rest of cream little at a time so you don’t add too much.
* Start mixing with a spoon, then with hands. It is much easier to get it all mixed up.
* The crumb should not wet or too dry. One it can easily form into ball and hold its shape, it is ready.

3. Now start rolls the balls. Use a tablespoon to measure. Or any other tools that can help you get an even size of balls.
 
 4. Place the balls on a pan which can be fit into your fridge. Let the balls set (about 1 hour) before coat with chocolate.
*I shape the balls one day ahead. Keep inside container with lid on in fridge.
 
5. Just before coating melt the chocolate (with double boiler method). Dip the stick into the melted chocolate, then into the ball.  This will help the ball stay on the stick. Keep in fridge again to set (about 1/2 hour).
 
6. Dunk the ball into the bowl of melted chocolate and coat the ball completely. Rotate cake pop over the bowl, letting the excess drip off. Then place the stick into your foam and let it harden completely.
*use shallow bowl/ cup to ease the coating process.
*remove the balls few (3-4 sticks) at a time from fridge while working on coating. Chilled balls won’t fall easily while dunking in melted chocolate. It helps chocolate set fast too.
*if you want to add sprinkles, do it before chocolate set.


~Cake pop with snowflake design
I use egg-free royal icing (which I used in decorate my gingerbread cookies) for the snowflake. Refer here for recipe. After the coated cake pop set, pipe the icing on surface to create snowflake. Leave aside to set.


I'm submitting this post to


~December AlphaBakes challenge with letter 'S' hosted by The More than Occasional Baker and Caroline Makes


~Tea Time Treats Blogging Challenge 'Chocolate' hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Kate from What Kate Baked.







12 comments:

  1. Vivian, your cake pops are so cute! And very pretty too. Good thing you did not throw them away, very clever way to salvage the not-so-perfect cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian~
    这样的甜点配咖啡我最爱!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and easy to eat! Kids will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so pretty! Thank you Vivian for entering these into TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute cake pops!! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake pops are very pretty indeed, Vivian. I can't bear to eat such pretty cakes like this haha. Good thing you managed to find such a creative way to salvage your cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake pops look so moist inside. And so pretty to look at too!

    Happy New Year to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Viv,
    These are so lovely.
    You are so brilliant to turn this into cake pop.
    Happy New YeAr to you and yours.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Viv,

    That's very good quick thinking of you transforming the cupcakes into cake pops. They look amazing!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vivian if I just use a cake pop mould to bake the cake, will it work and this mean I can omit the use of the whipping cream right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing......I wouldn't know where to start. Dive in face first would be a good place :)

    Highly recommended Auto Repair Kent Website

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...