I like to support my friends Doreen from My Little Favourite DIY and Zoe from Baking for Happy Kids for their event, Little Thumbs Up! Each month one ingredient is nominated and that will be the ingredient to be used in the recipes for blog posting. For February month, pineapple is the star ingredient which I think is chosen at the right time! In Hokkien dialect 'Ong Lai' sounds like 'good fortune come' and I'm pretty sure most of us have pineapple around for coming Chinese New Year. Since I'm going to 'Balik kampung' I make something quick with pineapple. I prepare this simple pineapple salad to go with crispy chicken fillet. I added easy available fruits, mandarin orange too. For more texture I used smoked shrimps. If can’t find, feel free to substitute ingredients that you like.
I like to have salad with fried food. Therefore I’m sharing herbed chicken fillet as well. I use both cornflour and rice flour together with oregano as flavouring. You can replace with bread crumbs and any herb you prefer.
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon light soya
* mix together till sugar melt. Set aside
(B) fruits and vegetables
200g pineapple, cut into cubes
2 shallots, slice thinly
2 mini mandarin orange, peel and break into sections
1 big chili, slices thinly
1 chili padi, slices thinly (more if prefer more heat)
1 stalk spring onion, cut
1 bunch of corriander leaves, cut
300g chicken fillet, cut breast meat diagonally into fillets, about ½ cm thick
1 egg white
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup cornflour
¼ cup rice flour
1 tablespoon dried oregano
*mix together and set aside
Handful of smoked shrimps
Oil for pan-frying
1. For pineapple salad, mix the dressing with all the fruits and vegetables. Keep in fridge while preparing chicken fillet.
2. Marinate fillets and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Coat fillets well with flour mixture till finish.
3. Add oil into hot wok. Lower heat to medium-low, arrange fillets inside wok. Pan-fry till golden brown. Dish out and place on kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
4. Serve with sweet, sour and spicy refreshing pineapple salad. Enjoy!
I'm submitting this post for this month :