Fa Gao is usually seen during Chinese New Year especially for praying. ‘Fa’(发）, the Chinese word is synonymous with wealth and prosperity. It symbolise bringing good fortune. Fa Gao with orangey colour signify good luck! This steamed cake is not only nice to see but also nice to eat. Besides pumpkin, coconut milk, egg and palm sugar are added too. I would say is kind of nutritious and fragrant steamed cake.
Recipe adapted from 快乐厨房
50g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon instead yeast
90g palm sugar (gula melaka)
320g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon double action baking powder
200g pumpkin puree (steamed and mashed)
100ml coconut milk
1. Mix all the starter ingredients and set aside for ½ hour to rest.
2. Prepare palm sugar syrup by adding diced palm sugar into water. Bring to simmer till all sugar melt. Strain and leave to cool.
3. In a mixer, put in cool palm sugar syrup, pumpkin puree, coconut milk and egg. Mix till well combine. Set aside.
4. In a big bowl, sift in all-purpose flour and double action baking powder. Make a well in the center.
5. Pour in palm sugar mixture from step 3 together with starter. Fold till well incorporated.
6. Pour batter into lined paper cups till 90% full. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
7. Bring water to rapid boil. Place the proof batter cups into steamer and steam at high heat for 15 minutes.
After all the marathon blog posting (almost every day !) is time to pack and ‘Balik Kampung’. I will take a break for Chinese New Year celebration.
Wishing all friends and readers a Great Prosperous Chinese New Year and Happy Holidays!