Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Stir-Fry Jicama(Jiu Hu Char/鱿鱼炒)-MFF Penang

Pin It Now!
Pin It
Looking at this recipe recall me of my mother stir fry jicama dish. My mum version is simple with only garlic, dried shrimps and jicama. We usually eat it by wrapping as filing with lettuce (生菜). And mostly have it during festival season. I don't know why? I guess it is great way to finish off the lettuce which usually used for praying.


Since this Jiu Hu Char looks similar with what I used to eat, I keen to try. This version of stir fry jicama is definitely more tasty and flavourful as Jiu Hu is added. 

This is Jiu Hu (Hokkien dialet); 鱿鱼(Mandarin); Dried squid. This size of Jiu Hu costs RM75 per kg. 

There is bigger size and costs RM85 per kg.

It is just great to have it as dishes to go with rice. However I try something new. Used as filling in my Vietnamese rice paper and serve with sweet, sour pickled vegetables at the side. 
Refer here on how to prepare the Vietnamese rice paper rolls

I also use as filling in my burger. 
Recipe adapted with slightly modification from Lena, Frozen Wings
Stir-fry Jicama (Jiu Hu Char)
Ingredients:
(A)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
60g dried squid, washed and shredded (2 squid as shown in picture)
4 pieces dried mushroom, soaked and sliced
1 piece carrot, shredded
1 medium jicama ( sengkuang), shredded
2-3 pieces cabbage leaves, shredded

(B)
1½ teaspoons salt or to taste
½ teaspoon sugar, or to taste
dash of pepper
1 teaspoon dark soya sauce for colouring
¼ cup water or more if prefer gravy
Methods:

1. Heat up about 2 tablespoons oil in the wok. Sauté garlic and shallots till fragrant. Push one side of the wok. Add in the dried cuttlefish and fry till aromatic, followed by the mushroom and stir fry till fragrant. Add in the shredded carrot, jicama and cabbage and stir fry few minutes.


2. Season with salt, sugar, pepper and dark soya. Add in water and stir fry few more minutes till vegetables cooked. Taste to check the crunchiness of the vegetables. Add more water if you need more gravy.


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Penang Month hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies

6 comments:

  1. A lovely twist in eating jiu hu char. A great idea as a sandwich filling and rice-paper wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a nice idea too wrapping it in rice paper! thanks for the link back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viv,
    I love this too.
    You are so creative with the wraps.
    When I saw this on Lena's I am keen too to try it but I don't think in time to join MFF...lol
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this yesterday and the preparation of cutting, slicing, chopping takes a lot of time! But the result is really worth it because it's really delicious. I will definitely make this again next time!

    Easy Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...